Author Topic: looking for more flavor on fresh cheese  (Read 6679 times)

AnnDee

Re: looking for more flavor on fresh cheese
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
i use  lyobac-d  MCL AR CH 1

but I am unable to find anyone selling it here in the USA , artisan geek sold it but they are still shut down .  if anyone has a source i would love to get more .

Not in USA... but I am going to UK next month and I am getting supplies from The Netherlands, Switzerland and France, I can order it and mail it to you if you wish.
What is the difference between this culture and other aroma meso (like biena's aroma B or hansen's FD)?

https://www.alliance-elevage.com/dept80_80_02_004_0800970_fiche_ferment_mcl_ar_ch_1_0_5_u.html#.WVU2BbHmif0

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
This culture is way slower , so more flavor , much more .  But it will not work with timed recipes , you will need to use a ph meter to know when to mold and salt .

Thanks for the offer of shipping some to me , but I think I am going to stretch the few pack I have left by making up mother cultures and freezing them in ice cube trays.

But I suggest you pick some up for yourself as it is a great culture to have .

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
What do you reckon lipase, sharp or mild, would do for a make like the farmstead cheese recipe at cheesemaking.com? Anything good?

The best way I can think of to describe the effect of lipase is to think of the sour-sweet smell of Kraft Parmesan Cheese - the kind that comes in a can, shredded to coarse powder. That's the flavor you will be adding to the cheese. A little goes a LONG way, and it intensifies as it ages. For a young cheese, it adds a nice picquancy to the flavor. For a long-aged cheese, It acts on the fats, so a low-fat cheese - maybe a partially skimmed milk Parmesan will not get too strong. But a full-fat cheese will - at least in my limited experience - become radioactive after it hits 6 months or so. :)
-- Andy

gstone

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 04:15:37 AM »
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.  Have a cheese.

I wish there was a primer somewhere on all the different additives--bacteria, molds, and enzymes--that described the effect each one has on consistency, flavor, rind, and so on.  There are so many different blends of strains of cultures that it's hard to figure out what does what.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »
A primer ... well, a couple of options come to mind. If you don't have Gianaclis Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, acquire it immediately. This is the single most useful book I have found. It explains the microbiological processes of what goes on in making cheese in language that is accessible even to a non-scientist like me. It specifically helps you to understand how to vary the variables to get different results.

If you want something that is more of a massive reference work ... I have just recently received The Oxford Companion to Cheese as a gift. I have not gotten very far in looking through it, but I think I will find it a useful adjunct. However, this is definitely more of a reference encyclopedia, not the book to start with - that would be Caldwell. It has articles on anything and everything you can imagine (and some you haven't imagined) that has anything to do with cheese. Want to know more about b. Linens? p. 86. Want to know what lypolysis is, and where lipases come from? p. 437. And so on ...
-- Andy

gstone

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 05:25:09 PM »
Beautiful; thanks!

Hurley_Byrd

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 02:59:55 AM »
If you don't have Gianaclis Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking, acquire it immediately.

I hope they are paying you.......... I just bought mine.
Thank You!
Pete