Help with cheese style identification

Started by blucrsr, August 09, 2017, 02:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blucrsr

I have recently tasted a cheese from Emmi and was wondering if someone could point me to the correct style this cheese is developed from.  The packaging says Emmi Kaltbach Le Cremeux.  Cave-Aged and Semisoft Cheese are the other 2 things listed on the label.  I'm guessing this is a Swiss cheese, but it is also a lot softer than any other ones I've had before.  I am very new to the world of delicious cheese.  I would love to be able to start making something similar.  Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

blucrsr

Just bumping this one time to see if anyone can help.  Thanks!

panamamike

I'm not for sure exactly what it is , but maybe this will help someone else to figure it out.
Made in 9 lb wheels, Kaltbach Le Crémeux is a washed-rind cheese that is sweet and unassuming at first, but keeps you coming back for another bite as the flavor and texture develops and becomes reminiscent of a soft cooked egg yolk in a bowl of ramen. It is a semi-firm cheese that's crafted with pasteurized milk and microbial rennet and aged a minimum of 120 days in the Kaltbach caves in the Alpine Valley near Lucerne, Switzerland. The RH in the cave is 96%. Fat is 34%. Enriched with cream, Without lactose. Firm, hard uncooked cheese.

blucrsr

Thanks, Mike.  I also found the following review...

As soon as the monger started telling me about Le Crémeux I was excited, I love mountain cheeses, they're my cheese happy place. The cheese looks like a typical hard mountain cheese with a yellowish paste. As it turns out, Le Crémeux was softer then I was expecting; it has a light, smooth texture that melts like butter when you bite into it. It was really quite lovely and smooth. The flavour was medium-mild, uncomplicated, and didn't linger on the palate. It had an overall brothiness with hints of mushrooms and butter. And I really enjoyed it. It was easy eating without being boring or bland.

AnnDee

Maybe it is like Reblochon but made with pasteurised milk in bigger wheel?