Ah... it never gets old

Started by OzzieCheese, November 19, 2017, 01:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzzieCheese

You are so right - Cut and paste error.  The rennet I have is rated at 200 IMCU and 3 ml. The extra fat is there - and it's a rough guess - to bring it up to the 5% fat content of Guernsey milk. I also found that the end product was tastier (subjective). I also increases the overall curd yield to produce bigger cheeses out of 10 Litres of milk.  1.1kg without compared to about 1.4 kg with. 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

mikekchar

I'm going to have to give that a try.  It never occurred to me to do that with a cheddar.  It would help me to get a taller cheese, too.  I'm limited in that my paycheck doesn't extend past 4 liters of milk (I have to pay $4 per liter for good milk!).   Oddly increasing yield by adding cream is *cheaper* than adding another liter of milk.

OzzieCheese

Wow ! That is expensive. I'll keep you in mind when buying my milk on how lucky I am here in Australia. That would be a challenge making smaller batches.  Make sure the cream is just pure cream - don't use thickened or ultra pasteurized cream. The first does really weird thing to the curds - they don't form well at all and the the ultra pasteurized affects the overall curd setting and can add some funky tastes during aging (advice from my Cheese mentor). 

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

mikekchar

Yeah, I'm lucky in that I can get good cream easily (which is weird because I can't get good milk easily).  200 ml of 47% cream (unadulterated pasteurised cream) is only $3.50.  So that's 95 grams of fat if my math is correct.  So it adds about an extra 2.3% fat to 4 liters of milk.  My milk is also 3.8% fat, so this is well more than I need (my wife gets some cream pasta sauce :-) ).  I've used it for a few makes and it works quite well.

Actually, the milk I use isn't even the most expensive I can buy.  900 ml of Jersey milk (4.5% fat) is a whopping $7.  Gorgeous milk, though...  I've made a few cheeses with it, but can't really justify its use...

pickles

Examining the use by dates on the bottles of milk I realise that the secret to this great cheese must be to age the milk for five years first, very cunning !!  >:D

[then again, less exciting, maybe it is just the photos that are back dated]  A)

Looking forward to your cheddar write up, after the cakes are baked, of course.

OzzieCheese

Haha that's funny.... It a pretty old thread I thought I'd rehydrate.  :)