Author Topic: keeping RH correct in a wine fridge  (Read 1619 times)

CAC

keeping RH correct in a wine fridge
« on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
I'm new to cheese making and I purchased a used 9 bottle wine fridge for use as a cheese cave.   I have a bowl filled with water in it and a damp rag placed on a rack as well.   My hygrometers both read only up as high as 70-72% relative humidity at about 55 degrees.  I have 1 Parmesan and 2 Romano (2 lbs each), cheeses in it at this time.  I have been working on the humidity problem for about 1.5 months.  I see in the cheese recipes that the RH should be at 80-90%.  What am I doing wrong?  Also I have seen suggestions to get a ripening or aging box to put the cheeses in, What are these?  And would they fit in a small wine fridge like mine?  The cheeses have a dry outside at this time, is that the way these type of cheeses should be?  Thanks in advance for your help. 

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: keeping RH correct in a wine fridge
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
I think you really need to find a ripening container, the cheese inside the container will keep your humidity up.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

panamamike

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
I agree with H-K-J. I have a fluctuation of 20% RH just in the change of temp. of 3 deg. F when the compressor comes on and goes off.
I have reverted to the use of containers and have had good luck with them. I adjust the lid to  overcome high or low RH.

CAC

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
Thanks guys!  Now what is a ripening container and where do I get one?  Plastic or wood?  There is not much room left in the fridge as it is now.

panamamike

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »
You can use a tupperware container with a wire rack or some type of platform and draining mat on top of it.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:38:57 AM »
This is one of the containers I use
Check out what's under the cheeses
Adjust the RH by closing or partially opening the lid

Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline stephmtl222

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:45:27 AM »
See also this recent conversation about humidifiers for cheese caves http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16722.msg129649.html#msg129649

smcaro@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:40:32 AM »
For the type of cheeses you mention, I would suggest backpacking them. Humidity will no longer be a problem, with the added value that, being small sized cheeses, you won't end up with a Parmesan which, becoming all rind out and inside, could very easily be considered a WMD.