Author Topic: Where to find a 6" wide mold?  (Read 4363 times)

dc-k

Re: Where to find a 6" wide mold?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
I'm only in cheese number five so still finding my way!

Thanks for the comments on presses, I'll look at others as I get more experience.

FuzzeWuzze

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 06:06:39 PM »
Much happier with this 6x6 mold. Here's my first cheese - a Pepper Jack.

Looks really nice, let us know when you taste it!

BTW I use the Mad Millie cheese press which is about 6 inch in diameter and quite widely available.

Have you done any 4 gallon hard cheeses?  I'm looking for a mold that can handle up to 4 gallons as thats as large of a batch as i can make currently with my 5 gallon pot.  It says it can hold up to 4# of curd, but im always skeptical and wanted to make sure before purchasing.

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »
Have you done any 4 gallon hard cheeses?  I'm looking for a mold that can handle up to 4 gallons as thats as large of a batch as i can make currently with my 5 gallon pot.  It says it can hold up to 4# of curd, but im always skeptical and wanted to make sure before purchasing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015QFLI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This food grade bucket (we drilled holes) is 6 inches interior diameter at the bottom and 6.5 inches at the middle height. The taper is fine. I usually only make 4 gallon batches of hard cheeses.

Curdlessness

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:25 AM »

For what it's worth, I found a neat little German site that has multiple sizes of molds in various shapes.

They do have a 6.2" cylinder with bottom and follower. It's #15 at this link:

https://www.rink-gmbh.de/en/milk/cheese-moulds/368-kaeseformen-mit-boden.html

I'm going to be picking up a couple of their molds in the next few weeks, so I'll report then on the quality and materials.

HTH!

Offline FooKayaks2

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
The package “cheese boilers” on the web page look interesting

Mina

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »

I'll be putting up a 16 quart Parmesan next week, which takes a pretty good sized mold. I'm putting it into an 8" diameter, 6" high mold and the SturdyPress will handle that just fine as well.  Parmesan seems to really age better in larger wheels. When I was a kid, we did 12"x8" wheels for Parmesan and aged them for 18 months.
[/quote]

Hi
I realize this is an old post, but I'm very curious to find out how the parmesan did in the 8" tomme with the 4 gallons?  I'm wanting to make parm as well but I'm concerned at the final size of the wheel.
Any info/update would be great!!!

Thanks

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 04:17:56 PM »
Mina, I'll be interested to hear your results. My experience with an almost-4-gallon parmesan make is that an 8" mold yields a cheese that is too thin. I find better results with a 7" or so mold.
-- Andy