Author Topic: Sticky rind on semi-hard and hard cheeses  (Read 6061 times)

lota

Re: Sticky rind on semi-hard and hard cheeses
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Hi Raz,
Thanks for all the information!
Here there is a resume list of the suggestions you all have made to change in the future, in order:

• At least, mesure ph of cultured milk to know when to add rennet. It should drop, in general 0.1 from the first value
  • Use flocculation to know when to cut the curd
  • Cook curds until they are dry: they will stick together when squeezed and fall back appart tthe hand when open
  • Sanitize cave again with alcoholic esterilizer
  • reduce humidity of cave to 75º
  • Dry the rind with a fan for 2-3 days
  • When the rind is done, I can do the washes if I want

Offline Capertee

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
Hi everyone - I thought I’d post my follow-up question in this topic.

I have a similar problem with a slightly sticky rind on an alpine style cheese. After pressing and brining, I did a good job with a few rounds of dry salting to get a nice hard crust on the cheese, then started with the first round of morge wash.

However, I got greedy and tried consolidating two cheeses in one large plastic container in my wine fridge (sadly, I don’t have a proper cave in my rental apartment) for ageing, although it was obviously too crammed and the high humidity has led to a stickiness on the rind. I presume it’s the humidity as I’ve had similar issues with other attempts - I guess plastic containers don’t have enough air exchange.

My question is on troubleshooting. I’ve had this problem before and tried removing the cheese for a short session in a drier (60-70% RH) environment, which cracked the rind. Any other suggestions? I was thinking I try another round of dry salting to kill whatever is causing the sticky / slimy coating, although I’d welcome other suggestions!

Cheers

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 02:30:16 PM »
Yeasts and B linens will create a sticky rind, which is essentially what your goal is.  Just keep washing every other day and see what happens. Temperature and humidity fluctuations are not good for the cheese - the rind will crack. 

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
Yeah, IMHO, a tacky rind early on is desirable for virtually every style of natural rind.  It basically means you have yeasts growing really well.  Of course, it's bad if it's too wet :-)  If you are doing a traditional alpine rind, then don't worry about it at all.  If you have it happen with a brushed rind, you'll want it to dry off in a few days, at which point you should get a nice bloom of geotrichum. 

Offline Capertee

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »
Thanks mikekchar and Bantams- I’ll continue with morge wash in that case and see how it goes.

I’ve also moved it to a larger container to provide some extra space.