Author Topic: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?  (Read 23333 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Vacuum Sealer--auto or manual?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 03:03:20 AM »
I had a small FoodSaver and it was ok--but I got the bigger unit and it has been a great success.
I normally do natural rinds, but some cheeses (like Butterkaese for example) that ages such a short while, I just vac.
But where it really comes in handy, is after I have aged a cheese, I can cut as much as I want and then vac the rest for continued aging without issue.
I don't like to try to age cheeses that need months to mature in a vac'd bag from the start---there just isn't a way for gas exchange and they never age as well. (They turn out ok, but when I've done head to head comparisons with the same cheese that I've vac'd versus aged with a natural rind or even waxed--everyone always prefers the non-vac'd cheese. However, once a cheese has aged 3-4 months, I have found that I can then vac it for the last few months without any change in taste, but end up with a thinner rind. So that's a plus.
 Just my experience. Hope that helps.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 01:15:59 AM »
Thanks - that does help.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 05:13:12 AM »
You're welcome--or as we say here, "Con mucho gusto"

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.