"Buford" Cheese

Started by GortKlaatu, April 23, 2018, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GortKlaatu

I've been wanting to make a Beaufort for some long while now, and I just got around to it today.
However, since I'm using goat milk, and I've combined several recipes (including Boofer's unconventional washed curd variety that sounds so good) what I've made is something only similar in initial concept to a Beaufort. So we've lovingly named it--Buford.

Here's what I did. I'll take a pic when it comes out of the mold later today.

4 gallons raw goat milk
1 pint heavy cream, cow
1/3 packets C101 mesophilic culture
1/4 tsp Thermo B
1/8 tsp P shermani
1/16 FLAV 54
1/8 tsp PLA

Milk started at pH 6.6
heated to 88 F
Ripened till 0.1 delta in pH  (this was 36 minutes)
Rennet 1.5 cc
Goal for Floc: 12 min with Floc Factor of 3X (Actual was spot on)
Cut curds to 1" -- wait 5 min
Cut curds to 1/4" --wait 10 min
Cook to 117F over 40 min
Hold till pH at 6.45 (this was only 5 min longer)
Remove 50% of whey
Added same amount back of 126F water (which raised temp to 120F)
Cook 30 min longer (pH 6.4)
Mold and Press 8# x 15 min
Turn and Press 8# x 30 min
Turn and Press 13# x 45 min
Turn and Press 13# x 1 hour
Turn and press 18# x 1 hour --hold until pH 5.3
Brine at 3 hours/pound
Wash twice weekly in PLA 5% Brine x 1 month
Initial aging at 50F and 85% RH x 3 weeks
Continue aging at 55F and 90% x 3-5 months more

We'll see what we end up with.  The only thing at this point that I wished I'd done differently is to have added a small bit of annatto for some color since all goat milk is snow white.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

Scarlettbri12

I'm interested to see how this goes! I recently tried a Boofer Trappist style clone, but did not get great results. I think this was my own issue and not the recipe though, as my initial washing yielded a yeast overgrowth.

I attempted to save the cheese, by upping the salt % of wash as well as adding b linens only to it (rather than PLA which is a morge) but it seemed it was too late and the yeasties imparted their bittering effects :(

Texture was fantastic, taste was not. Hope yours goes much better, and look forward to seeing the end result!

curiouser_alice

When would you have added the annatto?  I think I want to try your recipe so please update as it goes along.

GortKlaatu

If I'm going to add annatto, I usually do it when I'm warming the milk initially before I add the ripening cultures.
Since it's really only for color, I occasionally add it after the curd is formed and while it is cooking so that only the outside of the curds is colored.  That way when it is pressed it creates a lovely marbling effect.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

Boofer

Is this still aging? Any status update?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

GortKlaatu

Hey there.....I haven't been on the boards much lately.
Two reasons: LOTS of house renovations and really deplorable internet speeds lately (a small price for living in paradise.)
But I have been making a ton of cheeses.  I need to post a general update soon.

But to answer your question, Boofer, it turned out absolutely fantastic. It is a new favorite and all my friends around here are asking me to please make lots more of it. Thanks for the help I stole from your posts.