Appenzeller #1.2

Started by GortKlaatu, May 27, 2018, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GortKlaatu

I was holding out until 4 months, but I couldn't make it--so today at 3 1/2 months we cracked open my Appenzeller #1.2 (#1.0 never came to fruition.)
Being part of the Swiss fondue triumvirate, and having made Gruyere and Emmental, I was determined to get one of these on my table.

My cheese pals and I were pleased.  None of us had ever eaten an Appenzeller.
But it was completely unlike any other cheese we had made (or eaten.)
It was bathed in my own "secret" mixture of white wine and spices.*

It smelled like a cedar-lined spice cabinet. The rind was deep golden in color and semi-hard but very edible. The texture was dense with a few small holes. Not overly dry, and there was a rich flavor that initially started as slightly fruity but quickly moved to toasted nuts all the while with spicy, aromatic undertones. Half is for now. The other half is getting the vac treatment and I'll age it for another 2-3 months.

You guys that have made this, or at least eaten it--tell me, does that all sound right?
I will surely be making another one soon. What will I change?
I will definitely make a larger one.  This one was only 4 gallons: I think it might have suffered from the smaller size. Next time I'll make a 7 gallon one. That's the largest pot I can handle.
*My "secret" spice mix was:
6 allspice berries
12 Rainbow peppercorns
dash of celery seed
1/8 tsp Herbs de Provence
1 whole clove
12 fennel seeds
1/16 fresh ground nutmeg
3 Juniper berries
All steeped in 1/2 cup of white wine.

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

Andrew Marshallsay

This is not one that I've made or eaten, so I can't tell you whether or not it sounds "right".
I can tell you though that it sounds worth a cheese!
- Andrew

River Bottom Farm

GortKlaatu

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

Dorchestercheese

I just opened one of these I made 5 months or so ago only 2 lbs. So good I could taste the cider I used as the base for my rub. It's very lacy in texture. I can't wait to make a 8 pounder.
PS I've never tried a real one.

GortKlaatu

I've never had a "real" Appenzeller, either--just the ones I've made. 
I cracked open my third one today....it was 4 months old.
I had some German friends visiting who said they loved Appenzeller. So of course, I asked them what they thought of it and how it compared.
(Being raised in a German household myself, I knew they would be very direct with their response.)
They told me that it wasn't exactly like the Appenzellers they had eaten in Europe--similar but not the same--BUT that they liked mine much more.  So I guess that's good enough for me.  :)

Curdlessness

Darn you for making cheeses that actually turn out!   ::)

AC4U, my man... As my English spouse is fond of saying, "Well done you!"

Dorchestercheese

Great. Just change the name make it your own.

Curdlessness

GortKlaatu

HAHA Curd!
I was thinking maybe Ticozeller for Costa Rica (the Costa Ricans call themselves Ticos)
But I like Gortenzeller much better!   Thanks!