lactic set bloomy rind ripening

Started by lrunyenj, June 01, 2018, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lrunyenj

I am using the recipe in Gianaclis Cauldwell's book to make a lactic set bloomy rind in pyramid shapes.  I am having issues with the white mold ripening.  I am putting cheese in plastic box in an incubator set at 13C to try and get high humidity.  After 1 week, I only see the bloomy white on the top of the pyramid.   After draining, I salted the pyramids on all sides using two different methods (rolling and using a shaker).    I am wondering if the salt is not evenly distributed and that affects the ability of the P. candidium HP6 bloomy white mold to grow?   Alternatively, could I have too much Geotrichium candidum Geo15 growth (I used a scale to measure though so I think the ratio of Pen to Geo is OK)?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andrew Marshallsay

With Camemberts, I salt on the two flat sides but not the curved side. The PC always blooms on the curved side first but eventually covers the whole cheese. I think that it takes a while for the salt to diffuse through the whole cheese but it does happen.
- Andrew

lrunyenj

Here are a few pictures.  These are 11 days of ripening in boxes at 13C.  Boxes are fairly smelly. 

SOSEATTLE

To me it looks like the cheese is ripening very quickly, maybe too quickly. I personally find my lactic bloomies do much better ripening at a lower temperature. I age mine at 46 deg. F (about 8 deg. C) the whole time it is being ripened. For me that has worked the best. You might try some experimentation to see what works for you.

Susan

Gregore

I suspect that the curd was a little wet when salted ,  thus extra moisture on the surface

I think you may be getting a little b linens starting 

I recommend lowering the humidity a little and airing them out for 30 Minutes  each day , if you have a small fan that would be even better