Molds: tall versus wide

Started by cheesehead94, July 20, 2018, 08:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheesehead94

I am sure that this has been talked about here before, sorry if I am making a duplicate thread but I couldn't find one devoted to this topic using the search function.

In Caldwell's book she says that, outside of cloth bound cheddars and some blues, aged cheeses should always be wider than they are tall. However, when buying molds I have noticed that there are a lot of molds advertised as being for hard, aged cheese use that are taller than they are wide. Can I get a taller mold and use it in an all purpose way? Would goudas, asiagos, tommes, etc do ok in a more cylindrical shape, rather than being disks? I see a lot of cheeses on here are made in a barrel shape and they seem to do ok...

Is there a certain shape that can be used for the most different types of cheeses, and are there any cheeses that absolutely shouldn't be made into a certain shape

River Bottom Farm

Most molds are made taller than they need to be so you can fill them with draining curd and start pressing. The finished cheese will usually end up half or three quarters filling the mold. If you make a cheese that is too tall and too soft it can barell to the point it splits open on the side during aging. You have to find the right balance of tall vs diameter to match your cheese type and make volume.

GortKlaatu

Some cheeses can be made taller or at least as tall as wide, (and some should be.) But many cheeses will not age properly if they are taller than wide--ones that come to mind quickly: Camembert/Brie, Taleggio, Reblochon, Raclette, etc.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

Dorchestercheese

Seems all the molds for more than 2 pounds are 7.5 inches wide which requires a lot of curd to not get a flat disk. Anyone know of a mold for about 5lbs of curd at 5 inches wide?

River Bottom Farm

Thewitt bought a 6x6 mold a while back and was very happy with it. Here is the thread: https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16940.msg129859.html#msg129859

cheesehead94

Quote from: Dorchestercheese on July 21, 2018, 03:13:18 AM
Seems all the molds for more than 2 pounds are 7.5 inches wide which requires a lot of curd to not get a flat disk. Anyone know of a mold for about 5lbs of curd at 5 inches wide?

This one is 5 inches wide and is good for up to 4 pounds of curd...I think it is the one I will buy next

http://www.cheesemaking.com/shop/equipment/cheese-molds/hard-cheese-mold-2-to-4lb.html