Baked Cabecou

Started by jamesblair76, August 20, 2018, 03:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesblair76

Hi,

I though I should share a lesson I learned yesterday.

I was making a batch of cabecou, which I had success with in January. Same recipe, but used MO036 culture instead of flora Danica, because I'd run out.
2 L goats milk
1/32 tsp MO036
1/64 tsp PC
Speck GC
2 drops liquid rennet

Milk at 22C, add cultures+rennet, leave for 24hrs (ish).

Being winter, I put the pot in my bain Marie with a PID controller keeping the water underneath at 23C. This worked well for the first 12-14hrs. The pH wasn't dropping as fast as I would have liked, but the milk temp was still spot on 22C.

I should mention that I'd previously noticed the PID temperature fluctuating sometimes. Ie, it'll jump up and down 5C within a few sec, I think a fault in the sensor.

Anyway, when I checked it at around 24hrs,the PID was somehow at 63C, and the milk at 46C.

The chooks enjoyed the curd.

Technology is great when it works.

GortKlaatu

So sorry to hear that.  I love Cabecou....I make it fairly often.  When I want to give a special little gift and I don't want to give a fresh Chèvre, Cabecou is my answer.  Mine always develops a delightful citrus lemon background flavor.  Have you noticed that with yours?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality... and to call itself cheese.

jamesblair76

I can't say I've noticed. I've only made it once successfully though.