Author Topic: Beginner's Luck  (Read 966 times)

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Beginner's Luck
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »
Last fall my first attempt at making cheese (other than soft, fresh cheeses) was basically using Ricki Carroll's farmhouse cheddar recipe.  I followed it to the letter, then put it in a glass cheese preserver in an ice cooler to age for 4 weeks (natural rind, cleaning it every day with brine).

It came out quite well, with a sharp flavor and flaky texture not too unlike a nice sharp cheddar cheese!  Better yet, its melting qualities were superb, making the best grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever had.  And to top it all off, my husband said it was the best cheese he had ever tasted.  I made a "fig cake" with my cheese press and paired the two together which was quite tasty as well. 

Well, it turned out to be beginner's luck.  I immediately set out to make a second cheese (same recipe) and it turned out quite differently.  The only two things that I can think of that were different were pressing weight (maybe less the second time) and aging temperature (50 degrees the second time compared to 55 degrees the first time).  The second one was moist, melted great but had almost no flavor at all.

So I was off to try other recipes...gouda, colby, jack.  I started learning about over-acidification (sour crumbly cheese) and other not-so-great discoveries.  While thus far all the cheeses have been edible, they have mostly been used grated in combination with other cheeses in various recipes. 

Meanwhile, I'm so glad my first cheese turned out so well, otherwise I might not have continued on with this cheese quest!  But it's too late to quit now, so I will persevere!   

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Beginner's Luck
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 02:05:19 PM »
Susan, in my experience it is really unusual to get a good cheddar flavor in just 4 weeks. More moisture in the curd does let it develop faster, so that might be a factor. But for your second attempt, put it back into the cave and leave it for at least two more months, and then try it again.
-- Andy

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Beginner's Luck
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:49:22 PM »
Andy,

Thanks for the good advice.  Since I have yet to develop a "cheese aging patience" I think I'll stick to Colby's and such for awhile!

So...I made these first farmhouse cheddars when I didn't know much and had yet to discover this forum.  I thought when you opened up a cheese that was it, you just had to eat it.  So that second cheddar got eaten.  Now I know better, thanks to some of the posts in this forum!  In fact I have a 1/2 gouda aging right now.

In hindsight I think the first cheddar was slightly over-acidic but in a good way (my first Jack was waaay over-acidic in a very bad way); and the second one was not over-acidic but as you say, likely did not age long enough.

Now I have more tips and tricks to try on new cheeses but unfortunately no time to try them out in the near future!  A new lamb is just being born as I'm writing this!

Susan