Monterey Jack question?

Started by mgable, August 21, 2009, 12:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgable

I am getting ready to make some pepper jack cheese using the recipe from here. It calls for heavy cream and I just notice the one I bought is ultra pasteurized. Should I use it or will it ruin my cheese

DeejayDebi

Ultra pasteurizes milk products don't work for cheese. Don't use it.

zenith1

Alas-I again agree with Debi ;D I believe that the Jack recipe on the forum calls for the optional addition of the heavy cream. The recipes that I have used do not call for the heavy cream addition. I think you will be OK without adding it(it is probably a small quantity anyway,correct?)

mgable

I didn't get any responce back in time so I did add it. It was only 1 cup in 2 gallons of milk. I figured if that one cup didn't coagulate it wouldn't be a big deal. I did achieve a clean Break but it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. I am in the process of heating up to 100 degrees now. I hope it all turns out.
                               Mark

zenith1

again, I think that you will be OK with that small a quantity of UP cream, but  2 1/2 hours to achieve a clean bear seems too long. How did you determine the break?

Sailor Con Queso

Try to find non-homogenized milk (It's still pasteurized). You might have to go to an "organic" store like Whole Foods to find it. May be a little more expensive, but definitely worth it. Then you won't need the cream anyway.

mgable

I determined the break with a finger test. it may have been OK after an hour and a half but had a little residue staying on finger and the impression went right away after removing my finger. I had to run an errand so I let it sit another hour and it was better. This is all very new to me as I only have made the 30 min. mozzarella. It tasted really good but was not very firm. If I cut a piece out of my cheese that was in a Tupperware container it filled back in by the next day.

Alex

Quote from: mgable on August 21, 2009, 06:01:50 PM
I didn't get any responce back in time so I did add it. It was only 1 cup in 2 gallons of milk. I figured if that one cup didn't coagulate it wouldn't be a big deal. I did achieve a clean Break but it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. I am in the process of heating up to 100 degrees now. I hope it all turns out.
                               Mark

Adding cream to homogenized milk is a partial solution to make cheese from it. I am not shure, I've heard something like adding 1/2-1 cup of cream to 3 liters of milk.

zenith1

mgable-I'm interested in how your wheel finished up. Just for some added information try searching for the "spinning bowl method" of determining flocculation time here in the forum. I think that you will find it  easier than trying to use the clean break method.

mgable

here it is I think it looks good , it is about 5 inches tall and weighs about 2 lbs 5 ounces after 1 day of drying. I might split in to 2 pieces before waxing as I will be anxious to try some after about a month of ageing but will age the other 2 to 3 months. I hope it is good, at least it looks like cheese and this is a first for me  lol.
                                                                                    Mark

Cheese Head

Mark, looks great!

As I understand it you used regular store bought past & homogenized milk, not UP milk, it was just the cream that was UP. Store bought cream and Half & Half in USA is normally UP milk is just normally pasteurized.

I've used only UP Half & Half in my Cream Cheeses and they came out OK, but when I used only UP Goat's Milk in a Chevre I couldn't get a good curd set, at least with the amount of rennet I used.

I don't think the limited amount of UP cream you used (1 cup in 2 US gallons, ie 3%) was the cause of your long curd set time, may have contributed but not cause.

Bit late now bit if you give details of your ripening & rennet stages I'm sure some of members can help find reason for long curd setting time. Would help you on your next batch.

Alex

Quote from: mgable on August 23, 2009, 11:51:42 AM
here it is I think it looks good , it is about 5 inches tall and weighs about 2 lbs 5 ounces after 1 day of drying. I might split in to 2 pieces before waxing as I will be anxious to try some after about a month of ageing but will age the other 2 to 3 months. I hope it is good, at least it looks like cheese and this is a first for me  lol.
                                                                                    Mark

Mark, it looks fine, it's OK to divide it. Be sure you cut it horizontally, so you'll get two shorter cylinders.

DeejayDebi

Looks very nice hon. I don't use cream in my Jacks but I may give it a try soon.