Author Topic: Our Cheeses for 2021  (Read 9021 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Re: Our Cheeses for 2021
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 02:33:04 AM »
The Colby actually had the longest make time (a lot of stirring).... We only make semi-soft to extra-hard pressed cheeses, and having done about 30 different makes, we don't really find much difference in the difficulty.... some just have more (or longer) steps.... The most difficult was probably the Cantal.... which we had to press at up to 7 psi (170 lbs.), for a total of 57 hours....  :o

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 11:24:28 AM »
Yikes!  Did you add cheese mites?  ;-) ;)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 11:12:30 PM »
Heaven's NO.... It's waxed....  We'll sample it at 3 months.... ::)

Bob

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 10:52:17 PM »
Next on our list was a repeat of the Edam we made last fall.... It was a delight, made with 8 litres of 1% P/H milk and 650 ml of 18% cream for a total of 8.7 litres of 2.3% BF.... We used MM 100 culture, and before waxing it weighed 1 lb. 10 oz. for a yield of 8.6%.... about perfect for an Edam....  8)

We found the last one was good by 2 months, and peaked at about 4 months, so this one we will eat a quarter at 2, 3, 4 and 5 months....

PS.... This one developed quite a large crack in the wax at about 6 weeks.... We rewaxed it, and at 2 months found it had a large crack in the center.... However, it was a classic Edam in taste, both then and at 3 months, when we included it in a family cheese plate.... It was one of the stars of the show, a mild cheese that everyone enjoyed....

PPS.... At 4 months, we used some of this Edam for grilled cheese sandwiches.... It is the best melting cheese we have ever made....  8)

PPPS.... At 5 months, just like the last Edam we made, it has a very slight bitter aftertaste.... From now on, we will not age it past 4 months, or use Chy-Max rennet....  ;)

Bob
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:36:22 PM by rsterne »

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 07:02:39 PM »
Look beautiful..  I am reluctant to wax...  Do you think oiling a rind would be a reasonable substitute? I know it's not the same but oiling seems much easier and I can see what's going on with the cheese.  :-)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 09:51:30 PM »
I tried oiling, and besides messy, I still got mold growing.... My favourite method is waxing, at least until the first sampling.... After that I usually vacuum bag, and of course some cheeses I used vacuum right after pressing and drying.... although I may change that to waxing first, even though it is not traditional for some cheeses.... Any cheese that is brined dries within a day or two, so can be waxed very soon....

Bob
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 10:00:45 PM by rsterne »

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2021, 06:06:17 AM »
I recently made an oiling mistake:

You can see how the rind has got bumps on it (like pimples, kind of).  This was apparently due to oiling too early.

Last night I was reading old postings here on the topic and the long and the short of it is that if you oil too early, you've got a good chance of yeast getting driven into the rind.  It stirs the rind up like that and you end up with lots of crevices that blue loves (you can see a bit of blue in that picture).  What you are supposed to do is to age it 2-3 weeks as normal, wash it, dry it and then oil it.  I've done that before and it's worked well.

Mainly an oiled rind is there to keep the moisture in the cheese, not to combat mold.  This was something I kind of new, but hadn't thought through.  Basically, if you bring your rind through the 3 first weeks, it's basically easy after that anyway.  Once the rind is established, you can kind of ignore it.  In my last tomme, I ended up washing it (for reasons) and then I got a great bloom of mycodore with a nice rosy rind from a little bit of b. linens.  It was awesome.  But you can also just let it grow blue and it doesn't matter (done that many times too).  An oiled rind build up a nice slick surface eventually, but it's actually too late to help you with the difficult part of the mold.

The other thing I didn't understand about oiling is that you want only enough that it is absorbed by the rind.  If there is any greasiness left on the rind, then there is a good chance it will go rancid (olive oil is less likely to do that, so it's worth the cost to use it).

Anyway, that's my Colby style cheese I did about 3 1/2 weeks ago.  It worked out really, really well!  Definitely going to use that recipe again.  I based it half on a video of a factory producing Colby and half on one of Mal's old recipes.  I just needed to let it acidify a *bit* longer and a bit more age would have been good.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 01:45:19 PM »
Very interesting.  I've just been letting molds do their thing..  I think after the rind develops a bit and hardens slightly, the cheese gets protected.  Would this be a reasonable assumption?  I'm not against mold on my cheese.. but some cheeses like Gouda are traditionally waxed.  Has anyone made a non-waxed gouda?  How might that change the cheese itself?

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
I have not been waxing, and have successfully made Goudas. Look on the forum for the latest picture of my Gouda under the COVID Vaccination party topic.

Once the wheel dried, I vacuum sealed it and I am storing it in the cheese cave that way. I flip it every week. About four to six weeks in to this period, it typically weeps a little whey, so I cut open the package, pat the wheel dry, let the wheel sit at room temp for a day or so to dry out even more, and then revacuum it, and put it back in the cave.

I have done this maybe three times so far? After 6 months, the cheese is a delightful Gouda. I will be opening a 9 month version in July and a one year old in October. I am very eager for that time to roll around to see how the flavors develop and have other wheels in the cave doing their thing...   :) ;)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2021, 07:07:15 PM »
Last Sunday we made another Asiago, but this time with the intent of aging it up to 2 years.... an Asiago Stravecchio....  8) .... We reduced the fat content a bit by using our usual 8 litres of 2% P/H milk, but only 700 ml of 18% cream, for a total of 8.7 litres of 3.3% BF.... We used 1/8 tsp. of Su Casu culture, ripened for 40 min. at 91*F, and then after renetting and a floc. multiple of 2.5X, cut the curds into 1" columns, sit 5 min., and then cut it horizontally and whisked down to 1/4" curds.... After that the procedure was the same as our previous makes, heating slowly to 104*F, stirring 20 min. then slowly to 118*F and another 20 min.... We then filled the mold under the whey, removed the mold from the whey and pressed slowly until we reached 10 lbs. and held it there 15 min. before flipping and repressing.... After 30 min. at 20 lbs. and 1 hr. at 40 lbs. (by which time it was tightly knit) we pressed it overnight at 85 lbs. (3.5 psi).... After 8 hrs. of brining, the yield was 1 lb. 14 oz., which works out to 9.8%, pretty close to ideal for an Asiago intended to be aged.... Here is a photo after waxing....

Now it's into the Cave to be sampled at 6, 12, 18 and 24 months.... This will tell us how it changes along it's journey, and how it compares to our Asiago Pressato....  ;)

PS.... At 4 months, this cheese swelled and cracked the wax.... We vacuum bagged it immediately, and then sampled it at 6 months.... It has a lot of medium size eyes, and tastes great.... It slices well and is quite pliable.... Not sure where the eyes came from, but next time we will use Holdbac....

PPS.... At a year, this cheese has aged nicely.... It is only slightly drier, and has developed a somewhat nutty flavour, with a hint of caramel.... It is slightly bitter, from using the wrong rennet in a cheese intended to be aged, something we will cure next time by using Chy-Max instead of vegetable (Mucor) rennet.... The make could be drier to be a good grating cheese....

Bob
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 03:56:02 PM by rsterne »

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2021, 08:16:44 PM »
I've never done an Asiago, basically because we like Alpkäse so much I don't feel like making any other "alpine-kind" (apart from Emmentaler but that's for the holes).
But you're posting so many Asiagos I feel I'm going to try making one soon :)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2021, 09:02:49 PM »
Interestingly, Manchego and Asiago are our two favourites....  8) .... oh and Gouda....  ;)

Asiago Pressato is meant to be eaten young (1-3 months) and it's OK at a month, but at 2 months and over it is excellent....

Bob

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2021, 09:33:26 PM »
Last Sunday we made a Cranberry Wensleydale.... We coated one side with a dusting of Cinnamon.... We weren't sure if that might overpower the flavour, which is why we only did one side....  ???

The make was based on Debra's book "200 Easy Homemade Cheeses".... We used MA 4002 culture, and 8 litres of 2% P/H milk plus a litre of 18% cream, for a total of 9 litres of 3.8% BF.... A Floc. multiple of 3.5X at 86*F was followed by cutting the curds to 3/8" cubes, then slowly (35 min.) increasing the temperature to 95*F where we held it for an hour before draining and an hour of Cheddaring.... After milling and salting we added 3/4 cup of sweetened, dried Cranberries and then pressed it starting at 10 lbs. at which point it was still falling apart, so we increased that to 20 lbs., then after 30 min. flipped it and increased to 40 lbs. for an hour.... The final pressing was overnight at 85 lbs. (3.5 psi), after which we dipped one side into a thin layer of cinnamon on a plate, brushed off the excess, and then dried it for 5 days.... It kept weeping moisture, particularly from around the cranberries, but once dried we vacuum bagged it.... We will age it a total of 4 months, sampling it each month along the way....

PS.... We cracked this wheel this evening, aged 1 month.... My wife and I are blown away at how GREAT it is.... far better than the commercial version we bought to compare it to.... 8)

It has a slight Cinnamon aroma, the paste is tight and slices great.... It has a mild flavour, just slightly sweet from the Cranberries.... They seem to slice quite well, for the most part staying in the slice of cheese, and they are slightly moister than the paste, which has balanced moisture, neither too moist or too dry.... The Cinnamon in no way overpowers the flavour, in fact there is just a hint of it, and only on the side we dusted with it.... We definitely like it better with the Cinnamon, and next time we will cover both top and bottom, and the sides of the wheel, so that you can get a trace of it on every bite.... Other than that, this is one cheese we will try and duplicate exactly next time.... and there WILL be a next time.... It would be a perfect Christmas cheese!....

PPS.... after 3 months again, we started to notice a very slight "fermented" flavour in the cranberries.... nothing strong, and doesn't detract from the cheese, but on the next one will will consume it all between 1.5 and 3 months.... In addition, the bag kept going "loose" and we needed to revacuum it....

Bob
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:15:19 PM by rsterne »

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2021, 09:53:13 PM »
Yum!  That looks delicious already!  Can't wait for your tasting report!  Do people give cheeses before aging?  Aw. hell with it.. AC4U

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 04:23:05 AM »
Thank you!....

Bob