Gruyere Rind Qs - advice requested!

Started by salty_curd, January 27, 2021, 06:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salty_curd

Hello all,

I made my first Gruyere-style cheese on December 27th and have enjoyed seeing it begin to age. I am not entirely sure whether to aim for the orange, linens-heavy rind I see in some photos or the brown matte-like finish I see in others. So far, I have followed Alpkaserei's instructions for the initial affinage and have got a light orange rind with some Geo bloom (se photo). I brined, washed daily for 10 days with a morge, then 2-3x week (which is where I now am one month since the make).

Questions:
1. Should I am for an orange rind or a brown one or somewhere in between?
2. Can someone suggest what the affinage regimen should be from 1 month out? (ie: have you had success following steps 11-13 in the recipe below?)

This is the recipe I followed (blend between CF and NEC):
12L non-homogenized cow's milk
3/8tsp Thermo C
3/16tsp Propionic
1/2tsp rennet (300IMFU; 70 drops)
1/2tsp CaCl2
Tomme mould with follower

1.   Heat milk (8L Jersey and 4L Holstein for first make) to 32C and add both cultures; let sit for 15 mins.
2.   Add CaCl2 and rennet and let set for 40 minutes (floc x 2.5)
3.   Cut to 1/4in cubes, first with a knife, then with a wire whisk
4.   Increase temperature to 50C slowly over 1 hour; keep stirring and breaking curds to rice-grain size.
5.   Decant whey until 1inch above curds; fill lined mould with curds and whey
6.   Press at 10lbs for 15 mins; flip and press at 20lbs for 30 mins; flip and press at 50lbs for 60 mins
7.   Press overnight at 50lbs
8.   Brine for 12 hours
9.   Air dry for 2 days, flipping twice.
10.   Age at 13C and 90-95%RH for 4-6 weeks, turning twice daily
11.   Wash with light brine solution every day after yeasting begins (at 5-7days usually) for 10 days, then wash twice per week until day 60.
12.   Stop washing at 2 months and simply wipe with a dry cloth therafter.
13.   Age for 1 year.

Yield: 1800g

Bantams

It will eventually turn more golden/brown with age. Not sure if that's something you can control for.
We wash daily for 10 days then every few days, then as needed after a couple months.