Author Topic: Robiolini smell like spoiled milk  (Read 827 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Robiolini smell like spoiled milk
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »
So, I tried to make the Robiolini from cheesemaking.com.  I have no doubt that it will NOT be like the cheese they made but I though it would be interesting if nothing else.  Anyway, I have the aging in plastic containers in the basement where temp is anywhere from 50-59 degrees but usually about 55-57. I have smelled a few and the smell in the container is like spoiled milk.  :-(.   Is this cheese bad?   If so, what a pity because they look so pretty!  Also, what do you think the cause is?   Thanks!

After some reading I think the reason is B Linens.  I do see a few cream colored spots.  The containers were rather moist.   Can one still eat the cheese?
In general, How does one know if their cheese is safe to eat?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:04:51 AM by bansidhe »
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

jmason

Re: Robiolini smell like spoiled milk
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
Without knowing the whole process we can only guess.  Not enough curd development and too much whey retained, maybe.  Your cave conditions should be humid but not wet.  Dry your boxes daily and give a little fresh air at the same time. Dry the surface of your cheese before caving.  Not much can grow on cheese that will hurt you, it will tend to taste really bad before that.  Listeria is the only real worry and a fresh pasturized milk is unlikely to have an issue.