Making Brine

Started by bansidhe, April 03, 2021, 12:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bansidhe

Hello,   I have some questions about brining.  The NE Cheesemaking site's basic brine has 2 1/4 lbs of salt to two gallons of water, 1TBL of CaCl2 and 1 tsp vinegar in 2gallons of water.  Gavin Webber's has 1lb of salt , a tsp CaCl2 and 2TBS of vinegar.    The salinity and amount of CaCl2 in the NE Cheesemaking is greater than that in Webberrs while the acidity is quite a bit less.  What do you use?  Could anyone comment on the differences between NECheesemaking and Gavin's solutions?

Also, I followed Gavin Webbers instructions.  He used an egg to decide when enough salt had been added. He mentioned he wanted an 18% solution.  My egg floated at 11oz of salt added,  Far from the 1lb he mentioned.  Also, I believe that 18%soln by weight is formed by 11 oz .. but I fear I dont have enough salt. 

Thanks again
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Bantams

I like a saturated brine with 15ml/1Tbls calcium chloride solution per gallon.
Maybe Gavin is using granular calcium chloride? Either way, better a little too much calcium than too little. 
I usually forget the vinegar and haven't had any issues. 
I'm not sure how much salt - I just keep adding until there's a nice layer of undissolved salt on the bottom. 

bansidhe

mikekchar

Gavin's brine is a bit weird.  He uses an "18% saturated brine" which is *not* saturated :-)  He also uses a weight by weight ratio for his percentages rather than a more typical weight/volume ratio.  I'm absolutely certain it works for him, but you'll have trouble comparing his brining times to other people's because his brine really atypical.

rsterne

From this very Forum....

https://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-making-cheese-brine/

Particularly useful is the chart near the bottom for weight of salt per gallon or litre of water.... I make 21% and then add salt when it drops to 19%.... I use a wine hydrometer to measure the salinity....

https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,19200.

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

bansidhe