Making pasteurised halloumi from raw milk

Started by joelTSL, April 11, 2021, 06:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelTSL

Hi,

Quick question: If I make halloumi using raw milk, and then cook it in whey at ~95'C for 20 minutes (as described here: https://curd-nerd.com/soft-cheese-recipes/haloumi-2/ ) would that pasteurise the halloumi, or would I need to pasteurise the milk before I get started?

Thanks in advance,

Joel

bansidhe

I am no expert but, if pasteurization of milk can happen at 161F for 15 seconds , I would think that have your milk at 95C (~200F) for 20minutes would work.  But again, I am a new cheese.  "-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Bantams

Depends on your requirement for the pasteurization.
Legally? No.
If the curd itself (not the whey) exceeds 161°, then it has been effectively heat treated for pathogens. But it's not considered pasteurized since that's mostly a legal definition. 

Same for the mozz you also asked about.

But I have doubts that the curd in either instance is actually achieving 161°+.

rsterne

"Pasteurized"?.... No, because that is a defined process.... However, IMO cooking the Halloumi at 95*C (203*F) for 20 minutes would pretty much guarantee any bacteria would no longer be viable.... The slices are at most 3/4" thick and the center after that length of time at over 200*F would easily have reached over 161*F.... Again, JMO....  ::)

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

joelTSL

Thanks guys. This is really helpful!
So if I wanted the cheese to be pasteurised by definition, I'd need to heat the milk to 72'C/161'F and then let the temperature fall before starting the cheesemaking process?
I guess under those circumstances there's more of an argument for using starter cultures?

Bantams

Are you asking about home cheesemaking? As in pasteurizing because you would prefer to eliminate potential pathogens and competing bacteria?
If so, the best way is to heat to 145° and hold at that temp for 30 minutes. Better flavor and protein integrity with that method. Be sure to leave the stirring spoon in the entire time. I like to cover the pot with aluminum foil as that helps the temp stay consistent after reaching 145°.
161° for 15 seconds also works.
Then cool and proceed with cheesemaking. 

If you want it to be legally pasteurized, you would need a licensed dairy facility, a pasteurizer's license, the proper Grade A (or equivalent) pasteurizer, etc.