Author Topic: A Malembert with a tale  (Read 5268 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: A Malembert with a tale
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
Many Thanks for the cheese. I get to enjoy two of my favorite hobbies in one go.  I would like to get better Macro photos of the development of cheese and that is a goal of mine this year. A picture is worth a 1000 words but only if it's relevant to the topic. So, I hope there is utility in these photos for others.

Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »
Totally offtopic, but I recently made a Colby that was heavily influenced by one of your recipes.  It seemed to work out really well.  I'm looking forward to trying it :-)

Mrtatai83

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 11:18:50 AM »
superb it's malemberts, well I haven't quite understood the origin of the name, but it makes you want to see the rest :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
The name is my thumbing my nose at the stupid PDO restrictions. Camembert changed to Mal(my first name) and embert - hence Malembert. So when and if I get making a YouTube video about it the PDO won’t have a leg to stand on for trademark “violation” like what happened to Gavin Webster here in Australia. Search YouTube for Grana Padano and read the whole sorry mess.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Mrtatai83

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 10:09:10 PM »
The name is my thumbing my nose at the stupid PDO restrictions. Camembert changed to Mal(my first name) and embert - hence Malembert. So when and if I get making a YouTube video about it the PDO won’t have a leg to stand on for trademark “violation” like what happened to Gavin Webster here in Australia. Search YouTube for Grana Padano and read the whole sorry mess.

ok i understand :), i saw the story of gavin webster and grana padano, but it is an italian PDO, not a french;) joking it is true that some are a bit stubborn with their PDO. You should register the malembert brand lol.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 11:01:25 PM »
I give it free to world  8). I can sort of understand the whole AOC and PDO designations but really if it reads made in Australia then any one can see that it’s not French made. Ah well, I’m not selling it or otherwise making money from it. I love eating Camembert and though I’ve been making mine for about 7-8 years I have never bought a commercial one since I got my cheese making to a consistent level. Again opinion only but, the commercial versions are rubbery and bland, even the ones made in Australia. They all started out as homemade cheeses and be it right or wrong, the homemade cheeses are more original than the store bought ones-no matter what the cheese.

A cheese for your efforts!

Mrtatai83

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 04:18:26 AM »
Bravo for the gesture, but hey the story of Grana Padano, it's a bit of empty threats, as long as it does not market its cheese, we cannot blame it for much if it is nothing . Are they full when most French restaurants sell us Grana Padano at the price of Parmesan? what would have been funny is that all the amateur cheese makers posted their video of the grana padano :)
I agree with you when you say that an artisanal cheese will always have more character than a store-bought cheese. It's normal after all.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »
My main complaint about adopting names is when you make a cheese that is not representative of the original.  Brie is a fantastic example.  Especially in the US, "Brie" cheese is *nothing* like actual Brie cheese.  I suppose it's not that important since Brie cheese is illegal to sell in the US (as a short aged, raw milk cheese), but the confusion is frustrating.  For some cheeses, I would argue that there is genuine harm, though.  Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is made by incredibly poor people (to the point where many creameries don't even have walls).  Large US producers make a cheese that is called "Cotija", but that only superficially resembles actual Cotija cheese.  The downside is that the average US cheese fan would likely not even recognise actual Cotija cheese if it was available in the store.  Given the popularity of the cheese's name, this is basically taking food out of poor people's mouths.  They can't sell their cheeses because the name of their cheese has been appropriated.

Obviously, as home cheese makers we aren't involved in such serious issues.  However, I do respect people make an effort to help people understand the difference between an homage to a famous cheese and the real thing.  I was pretty pissed about how Grana Padano lawyers treated Gavin Webber.  However, I was also pretty uncomfortable with his unfortunate belief that his "Grana Padano" recipe was anywhere close to the mark.  To be frank, he often makes a cheese from a recipe that he's cobbled together and somehow believes that it is representative of the original.  In many ways it is helpful for promoting his channel while unhelpful in educating people about cheese.  I completely owe my start in this hobby to him, but I have mixed feelings about some of the things he does.

Sorry for going off topic again :-P

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
Just reading the past few posts of this thread.  I didn't realize cheese making was so political. :-0. Kind of sad really.  I am sorry to hear of Gavin Webber's battle with Grana Padano.  I just do not understand why big companies feel the need to hassle the little guy for such things.
Anyway, I greatly appreciate the information you guys post.  It's fascinating and very helpful
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Mrtatai83

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
This is not necessarily a big business problem. It is above all a story of know-how and tradition, whether for a cheese or something else. I totally agree with protecting all these things so that they don't sell us anything, but when we cook, or make cheese at home, either for ourselves or for our friends, we can well call a cheese what you want, it will not do much harm to anyone. Note also that even within these PDOs, there are disagreements between the different producers. However, as mikekchar says, it is aop that is useful so that certain communities are not dispossessed of their heritage.
nb: I stop talking about aop on the post of the malemberts of Ozzie, we derive from the subject.

edit : my St-FéliBrie pleased everyone who tasted it :) Too bad I'm not even sure I know how to do it again lol.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 04:38:50 PM »
I agree.  What does aop mean?

Mrtatai83

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »
I agree.  What does aop mean?
controlled designation of origin
Protected designation of origin (PDO) in english

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
Ahhh!  Like Denominazione di origine controllata!   thanks!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »
Well this make certainly created a bit of a tale. A bit more than usual. And my final words on the PDO matter... cheese is what you make of it and the activity in making it for me is therapeutic and engaging. I certainly would not call my Malembert that of a similar cheese starting with C. IMO mine tastes better and even from someone who has grown up in, and who imports his cheese from, the very same area comments that mine is very much like what his Grandmother used to make. The commercial variant is different to what was originally made in the farmsteads decades ago.

Right ... back on topic....

The cheeses are now residing in the ‘cave’ and the white mould is covering them nicely. There is no hit of ammoniation at this time but will need to be vigilant. I’ll drop a few more photos as they progress.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 10:32:37 PM »
Ah...! My little beauties are coming along quite nicely. Just touching three weeks just softening around the edges.