Author Topic: Raffine Challenge...  (Read 7184 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Raffine Challenge...
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2021, 09:50:05 PM »
Thanks for the cheese. So if you can share how the heck I get B.Linens showing up I’d be grateful. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. I think the secret here is the temperature and adding cream if you are using store bought milk. Try and find better milk as I think yours was processed way too much. I’ll type out my make sheet and post it here. I’ll leave out the pH levels as I don’t really know what they are.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2021, 11:07:23 PM »
Cool.  The Milk I have been using has been either raw or supposedly gently pasteurized.  It did get pretty warm here that week.  The week before it would have bene better I think.  But no matter.  I will study your make and try again.  Thanks!
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline JayW

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
    • cheesemaking.com
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »
Nice Project guys... Glad to see someone doing comparative makes here with this historical cheese.
Remember there is no such thing as a cheese recipe. What I post online is really a guideline from my side. Milk and process are just so variable.
I spent a lot of time digging the details out of the past since the original maker has passed on.
The biggest hurdle for this one was the fact that the rind bacteria came from a salt marsh near where they were made on the island.
I did use a bit of Lab produced bacteria but also washed forward with other washed rind cheese which I've collected on my travels both here and in Europe.
Jim Wallace .. the "Tech Guy" at www.cheesemaking.com
                    ...... current workshops are online and filling up quickly now! http://www.cheesemaking.com/JimW.html

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »
Thanks!  Funny.. I was JUST thinking I might try Raffine sometime soon since 1) it's cooler and 2) we finally got AC!

:-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard