Author Topic: Yields  (Read 3278 times)

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Re: Yields
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 12:18:21 PM »
I am really, really sorry if what I posted is insulting.  You are right that was NOT my intent. 
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 03:46:12 PM »
I agree some people benefit from A2 over A1. Or raw milk vs pasteurized, or goat or sheep over cow.
But the A2 Corporation and others are really pushing this idea to the detriment of cattle genetics. Suddenly everyone wants to breed to A2 bulls so whole families of cattle are being excluded. It's especially bad for rarer breeds like Dexters that have few breeders focusing on milk production (bringing back the breeds original dual-purpose nature which had really suffered for a while in the US). Nobody wants to use bulls carrying A1 anymore, even if they are excellent bulls.  Who knows what genetic diversity is being lost. 

Despite what many A2 proponents say, the A1 gene is not a modern gene only found in "modern" breeds like Holsteins. It is found in all breeds to varying degrees.  And there are many A2A2 Holsteins. 

Choosing A2 milk is a fine option, but the fallacies spread by the A2 Corp really bother me.  As well as their control (trademark) of the A2 gene (only partner dairies are allowed to market as A2 and all labs must now report genetic results to the A2 Corp, even if it's just some random backyard breeder).

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 03:59:03 PM »
Yes..  My comment was more on the marketing than anything. Also, humans were all lactose intolerant at one point.  European humans evolved to tolerate it for the most part.  This was not because suddenly cows who were A1/A2 suddenly disappeared and became only A2.
It's really quite fascinating.    Of course, we really don't know but tens of thousands of years evolution can do amazing thing

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 02:53:01 AM »
Yeah, I was overreacting just based on my general frustration.  No apologies necessary!  It's one of those things where people are randomly going to glom on to some thing or another, and marketing people are going to try to take advantage of it.  It's not fantastic, for sure.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 12:49:00 PM »
I cracked open the Mutschil today.  It came out pretty good...  I am not sure what it is supposed to be like but here is what it IS like:

Paste is moist and pliable and firm and smooth.
Taste is reminiscent of Swiss.
Mouth feel is also very Swiss like.

This cheese aged only 4 weeks.   Recipe https://cheesemaking.com/products/mutschli-herdsmans-cheese-making-recipe
However, the BLinens and GC were listed after the rennet so I did not add them with the culture.
I realized too late that I should have.
I did try and wash with BLinens and GC.  I got some red spots but they never took over.
I had it at 85% humidity but I think that wasn't enough for it to take off.
Also recipe called for large tomme mold.  I think that was too big so the cheese has too low a profile. The medium hard cheese mold I think would have worked better though it would have been taller.

Nonetheless, I consider it a success in that it tastes good and has a nice texture.  It's a semi-hard cheese that will make for some great grilled cheese sandwiches.