What's your favorite Whey to use whey?

Started by bansidhe, June 24, 2021, 04:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bansidhe

What is your favorite way to use up whey?  Mine is to make Primm.  I love it!  And it takes practically no supervision...

Each week I make it after my weekly cheese make. Then all week I have a crock of it ready for me to dip into .

What about you?
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard

rsterne

We use it for fertilizer in our garden, particularly on acid-loving plants like blueberries, raspberries and tomatoes....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

bansidhe

Ahhh yes, I do have some small blueberry twigs.... (we've a BIG rabbit problem).  Perhaps I will sue the whey for that, too

Aris

I drink some of it and used the leftovers on my tomato plants. What is a Primm?

MacGruff

Many times I will make Ricotta. Many other times my wife grabs it and uses it for the breads she bakes (it adds a completely different flavored dimension to breads that have a liquid component. Unfortunately, it's always small amounts); In the winter we use it instead of water in many soups.

What's left typically goes to the garden.

bansidhe

Prim (m?) is whey that's been cooked down until it caramelizes.  It's on the way to mysost. That is it's not cooked down as much.   I love the stuff.  It's sweet, tangy, malty tasting.  When making it the other day, I tased the whey before it got too brown.. it was significantly reduced but still very much a liquid and not at all brown. Anyway, it was DELICIOUS!  A bit too sweet.. but I though of all the things I could use that for..  Like to drizzle over ice cream.  Yum..

Aris

Ah so its Brunost or Gjetost. I wonder why they have so many names for essentially the same product. I will try that next time when I make cheese. Water Buffalo milk has lots of lactose and solids, yield will be good. There is a province here in the Philippines that makes a product pretty similar to Brunost. It is a candy called pastillas de leche made from water buffalo milk.

bansidhe

Ahhh yes.  That makes sense.. there are a few caramlized leche" things here, too.  I never put it together until you mentioned it