Author Topic: Lysozyme - when to use?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Walrus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
Re: Lysozyme - when to use?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »
Lysozyme doesn't affect the holes in my cheeses at all :( Today I cracked open my 2 months old edam, in which I used lysozyme (0,25g/10l) and it has even more holes. I will try to pasteurize the milk in next batch to see if the holes disappear.

Does anyone have the same problem as I have - unstoppable holes from raw milk?

I attach picture of my holey edam.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
Those holes look quite different than in your previous wheels.  I strongly suspect those are from coliform. 
Can you tell us more about your raw milk source? Are they licensed and do they regularly test the milk? Can they show you lab results? What are the cows fed?  Are the cows healthy and clean, or do they frequently have manure and mud up their legs?

Offline Walrus

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
I thought coliform does not cause a late blow and shows immediately , this holes appeared after nearly two months (or at least that's when I saw the bulge on wax while turning).

Cows are silage fed, licensed for milk supply (they supply one of the biggest dairy product manufacturer in central bohemia), machine milked and they have lab results showing good quality of milk. Other option is, that I contaminated it during cooking, but I don't think so as I am very careful and it in every cheese i made except halloumi, fetta and carephilly.

I suppose they care for their cows, but they have almost 100 of them and the cows are frequently milked so they have the specific look of milk cows. They have manure on their legs, but not higher than ankles.

I agree with you that this looks more like coliform bacteria than anything else, next time I'm going to pasteurize the milk (63°C for 30 minutes) and post the result. I tried to avoid the pasteurization because it's rather long process.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »
Yeah Pasteurization can be time consuming that is why I switched to thermization. I heat the milk to 150 f, wait for over a minute and cool in a water bath. The whole process from heating 6 liters cold milk to adding starter culture is 30-35 minutes compared to over an hour when pasteurizing. So far no coliforms and off flavors with aged Mozzarella. Next time I will try an aged cheese that doesn't require to be heated with hot whey or water.