Author Topic: Yields  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Yields
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
I just made a Tilsit, well I hope it's a Tilsit, not so sure now..  Anyway, instead of the stirring for 40-50 at 100 as the recipe stated, I stirred for only 20.  That's because it passed the grip test by then and I was thinking about what you had said.  Since I was worried that the acid was not developed enough, since the whey was quite sweet still I let it sit out overnight at room temp.  This morning it tasted rather neutral so I popped it in the brine. We'll see what kind of cheese I actually wind up with! I'm going to post the make today for input.. :-)

So, sorry for your milk troubles!
I hope it improves the yield. I think the pH will still drop while in the brine and hopefully stops at the right pH. I made a mozzarella curd that didn't stretch properly. I dry salted it, vacuum packed and placed it in the coldest part of my fridge. When I tried it after 30+ days, it melts and stretches like a Mozzarella.

Offline bansidhe

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 20
  • Default personal text
Re: Yields
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 06:39:59 PM »
I think it might.  We shall see.  I have a 10.4 % yield for this.  Not sure if that is better or not since I just started checking on yields.

But 10.4 is better than 9.  Maybe I have a few tenths of a percent in curds lost in the sink.  :-)
Making cheese is easy, making a cheese is hard