Author Topic: Problems with Camembert make  (Read 4062 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Problems with Camembert make
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »
Another quick update. After 8 days in the cheese cave at 55 degrees F and 90+ percent humidity, the attached pics show the development of the rind. I am quite pleased with it. I have been flipping the cheese daily which explains why the side are "fluffier" (?) than the top and bottom.

I wrapped it in parchment paper and then wrapped that in foil and moved it to another fridge we have which is set to about 44 degrees. It will sit there for another three or four weeks before I open it up.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
Whoa - looks like the Geo is happy!
Just a heads up that you may have undersalted your wheel - heavy Geo vs Pen C growth can indicate too little salt. Once you dial in your recipe you can use mold growth as an excellent indicator of salt levels - in my 50° cave I expect 90-100% mold coverage by day 8 - if it's faster than that it means too little salt. If still patchy by then - especially on one face of the wheel, I make sure to note those wheels for a taste check on salt levels.  Though patchiness can also simply mean the cave is too dry or too much airflow. 

But when it's a matter of Geo vs Pen majority, Geo majority means too much moisture and too little salt. 

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 12:06:55 PM »
I like a  happy Geo versus that initial result!   ;D

So, how many weeks do you think I should keep it in its wrapped state before doing the grand unveiling and tasting?

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2022, 01:00:56 PM »
Well.... that did not quite work out as well as I had hoped.  :(

I finally decided to stop waiting and after 6 weeks in the fridge, unwrapped it and cut into it. The three pictures below show what it looked like when I:
1.   Initially unwrapped it.... ;D
2.   Cut into it ....    :o
3.   Let it sit for about 5 minutes ....    :-[

I guess I used too little salt, and the those are the results, eh?

Time to go back and make another batch and increase the salt quantity.

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »
I think you probably aged it too long as well.  You can kind a feel how it goes from firm to soft, and have to eat when it hits the right softness target.  I hope the floody cheese still tasted good.  I really like the spreading character, and (don't tell), microwave mine to get that meltiness going just like yours.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2022, 12:00:32 AM »
How much salt did you use? It seems the cheese retained too much whey/moisture. I use 2% sea salt and some of my bloomy rinds become really gooey and not runny. One cheese (460 g) took 45 days to be almost fully ripe and another (500 g) took 55 days. How's the flavor and taste?

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2022, 03:36:31 PM »
This cheese sat in a colder temp for about two weeks and then another 6 weeks in a warmer (44 degree) fridge.

I believe the bigger problem is not enough salt. If you look further up the thread,  you will see a pic from earlier in the make where the Geo was "happy" ... maybe too happy?

I used about 1 or 2 teaspoons when I rubbed it on the outside during the make. The recipe calls for 3 quarts of milk as the base.

My next make will use more salt, for sure!

As to flavor, I did try it!   ;)  I thought it tasted pretty good, although it was too runny. If you look carefully, you will see a cracker leaning against the cut cheese. That cracker is no more....

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2022, 04:55:12 AM »
If the flavour is good, then I would not change the salt.  As Aris said, the moisture level is more what you want to concentrate on.  In my experience, salting *earlier* can preserve calcium and thereby stabilise the paste to a certain extent, but that's not traditionally how you make this cheese.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Camembert is very prone to 'bolt' if you mature it at too high a temperature. I have learned from trial and error that 10C ( 50 F) is just too high. It likes 7C (45F) while it's growing its mould and 4C(40F)  when you mature it. I have one I made a month ago with a good mould cover and a very soft interior but NOT fluid like yours. Actually if you buy a ripe Camembert in France it is not far from your one. I actually remember getting a 'Rustique' in Belgium which could be poured ! Supermarket Camembert in the UK is solid and completely tasteless. You need something in between the two extremes. From my experiments making Camembert is simple - maturing it is the difficult bit. Incidentally if it comes out fluid, put in a pan and make a pasta sauce with it by adding a little butter flour and mild  - delicious ! Good luck next time.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »
I made a second Camembert starting around the 5th of Feb.

Used around 2 Tablespoons of salt when rubbing the exterior. Results were much more successful!

See separate thread for pics.