Altbier, Naltbier!

Started by Flound, March 21, 2023, 02:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flound

https://youtu.be/23wgSqA-Aro

My Not Altbier - perhaps best described as a Naltbier.

It was supposed to be an Altbier, a top fermented beer, as ales are done, but it's cold conditioned, like a lager. From Düsseldorf and surrounding environs.

It's a regional rival to Kölsch, another top fermented beer, which is from Cologne. I've made a couple of Kölsch this summer.

Anyway, long story short, it was meant to be entered into a brewing competition, but the last package of Kölsch yeast  in town, aye caramba, failed. 72 hours of bupkus fermentation. In the end, I resorted to use an ale yeast used for NEIPAs, which had some enzymes that cause cloudiness and enhance fruit esters, so at that point, this beer ceased to be a viable contestant because it had to use a German top fermenting yeast.

In German, old Canadian beer translates as 'altes kanadisches bier' so this became Kanadelicious Beer.

B e n

Enter it anyway, you will get dinged for clarity but if it tastes good you could still do well.

Flound

Sadly, the ingredients disqualify the beer. It had to be made with a Kölsch or German ale yeast.

Thanks for the props, though! Tasting will be in about 10 days. I'll post the tasting results!