Author Topic: 6 months old Clothbound Cheddar inspired cheese made from water buffalo milk  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Not upset, just confused about your comment. I showed examples of the bad things that can happen in a clothbound cheddar. I like funk but not all molds are good. There is a reason commercial bloomy rind cheese and almost all blue cheese use selected strains of mold. My friend who is a professional cheesemaker in NY is very particular about her Clothbound cheddar and there are specific molds that she doesn't want growing on it. I am also very particular, I design my own cheeses and in this cheese, I don't want to deal with wild molds because they have the potential to burrow into the paste and they typically have a musty smell. To be clear, I said bad stuff as in they can give bad flavor (musty) and taste (bitter/acrid) and those 2 cheeses aren't mine. Although there are people who are allergic to certain types of mold so there can be some health risk. From my experience, vacuum bagging tends to promote the growth of calcium lactate on the rind which can give an off flavor and looks unsightly. Whey seepage from the cheese inside the bag is another issue which can make the cheese bitter if not removed. Newly opened vacuum bagged cheese can also have a funky flavor in the beginning. I think using PVA eliminates all of those issues I mentioned. I still vacuum pack cheese because it is cheap and convenient.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
in response to Ben - PVA coated cheese breathes like clothbound so the cheese doesn't get over damp, but it needs humidity management. Shrink wrap and wax can't breathe so the texture is quite different - much softer. I also don't like the shiny oily exterior of a vacuum packed cheese. I think the easiest way to compare is to buy some supermarket vacuum packed and then get the same cheese as a piece of an artisanal cloth bound from a good cheese shop. This can be a bit of a revelation!

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Ian,
I agree especially about texture. I also noticed that vac bagged cheese has more moisture even if it is supposed to be a low moisture cheese. It tends to be "moist". My clothbound cheddar has better texture, it has a bit of dryness which I find pleasant and at the same time it is buttery.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
absolutely - you've put your finger on it there Aris. Many people don't have access to the best artisanal cheddar - Quickes Pitchfork Kean Montgomery Hafod Mull - at least in the UK the supermarkets control the market and their skills as affineurs are minimal - shelf life is their only concern. So many amateur cheese makers are shooting blind - only armed with a recipe but with little idea what it is they are trying to make. Currently I am addicted to Red Fox - a vintage Red Leicester from Belton farms. It is my goal to make a cheese as tasty as that.

Offline B e n

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Thank you for the explanation, for whatever reason my search terms on PVA didn't bring up a lot. My basic experience with PVA is in fine woodworking, and it is considered waterproof in that application so my brain went straight to a water barrier. Although I have used it as an end coating for slab milling and had great luck with it, so i should have realized that it is breathable. I took  its usefulness for granted. Most of my cheeses are natural rind, with vacuum bags for the problem cheeses(limited experience). The moisture and greasy cheese problem is a thing. i will look into PVA coatings more, it seems like they would fill a niche in my processes.

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
I have come round to them as they seem to eliminate some of the major problems associated with clothbound while retaining the breathing ability which makes the finished cheese much drier and harder. I also discovered how widely they are used  in the industry particularly with Gouda in the Netherlands. A friend who makes commercial cheese here near me is using them as well as clothbound and so far the results look promising.

Offline DrChile

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
in my experience vacuum bagging and waxing completely change the nature of the cheese and make it much softer and moister. It no longer tastes like an artisanal cheddar.  The great advantage of PVA is it breathes like a cloth bound but without the mess.

Same thoughts as most above - been doing lard and clothbound for many of my gouda styles (i know - not traditional - but early this year my cheese cave was not suitable to set up natural rinds and i dislike the waxing process).  PVA arriving this weekend so will try it out and see how it goes

Question - when do you apply the PVA - same time as you would vac pack or wax?

Trent
"Decide what to be, and go be it" - Avett Brothers

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
yes roughly - because it breathes your cheese should be dry but still moist. I use two layers but a professional cheesemaker friend uses four. Expect it to go white underneath if you leave it on a shelf but it  will eventually be transparent ( I use the white plain variety ) Wait for each side to dry before you turn it over. This takes about 6 hours or overnight . I apply it with a silicone brush.

Offline DrChile

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
Thanks!  Just applied two layers to mine and will see how it goes (only could get red)... will compare the lard wrapped one with the cream wax one in about 3 months
Trent
"Decide what to be, and go be it" - Avett Brothers