Author Topic: Trouble with Langres-style cheese  (Read 2195 times)

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Trouble with Langres-style cheese
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 11:19:02 AM »
20 C is plenty warm enough to bottom out the pH in 16-20 hours and is fine for a semi-lactic (which Langres is).  30 C would be OK too.  It kind of depends on what you are trying to do.  The lower temperature will produce smaller curds than the higher temp.  Keep in mind that this is a semi lactic.  It is *not* coagulated by rennet.  There is not enough rennet there to coagulate the curd.  This is an acid coagulated cheese (i.e. lactic coagulated).  The rennet is simply there to help dry out the curd a bit and help it drain.
Not really sure I understand the technical terms (I thought the point of the rennet was to do the coagulating and the culture provided flavour), but 20C definitely didn't work well for me. The curds were very weak and the remaining liquid looked nothing like whey!

Honestly, looking at his video, his cheese is a bit more coagulated than I would have expected.  He's also using 1/10 the normal rate of rennet (I would usually use 1/4), but I also know that he uses raw milk and I suspect this is where the trouble is occurring.  If you are going to use pasteurised, homogenised milk, I would definitely up the rennet rate by quite a lot.

Again, don't really understand this. I def could not have gotten away with using lower than the normal amount of rennet (not sure why he used 1/10th). Even with 16 drops in 4 litres I couldn't get a decent curd. Any less and I would have just had warm milk!
(He used pasteurised milk for this btw)

excellent - glad Waitrose obliged. You need to turn the cheese in the mould by turning it onto your hand and 'catching' the curd before transferring it back to the mould upside down. This facilitates the drainage. Turn it every couple of hours. Don't worry about dropping it - it's a technique and it requires practice. You will gradually see the shape forming and eventually you can turn it out onto a board. I find paper towel initially is helpful. You need to salt it when its is solid - one side at a time You are already twelve hours in which means you curd will be a bit acid. Taste to see if it's sharp. Treat this as an experiment not perfection - next time turn it after two hours or so. mikekchar is absolutely right about the lactic/rennet set balance in this cheese . Having not made Langres myself i'm not sure about timings. Are you working to a recipe ?
Remember that what you end up with will probably not be what you intended but will be interesting and edible in itself.
Even after a couple of days it doesn't look solid enough to turn by hand and I don't want to risk it all falling into a wet mess on the floor! Here's how it looks at 48h (still using the mould as it looks a bit too sloppy still, what do you reckon?) https://share.icloud.com/photos/0793szD02QjnJbEBltv0CqMWA
Yes, I am working to a recipe (see youtube link in original post)

Looks absolutely perfect!  I do a lot of lactic cheeses, though I've never done Langres style.  I agree with broombank.  When it is solid enough to handle, it's good to salt.  Be a bit careful with the amount, though.  I like *at most* 1.5% of the weight of the cheese at salting and often go as low as 1.0%, depending on my mood.  It's easy to over salt these kinds of cheeses. And you should definitely weigh the salt, because a small difference in the amount of salt can make a big difference in the final product.

Having said that, lactic cheeses are pretty forgiving on when to salt because you have mostly bottomed out on acidity anyway (the cultures don't work very well at low pH/high acidity).  Sometimes if it's having trouble draining, I'll salt a bit early just to draw out the moisture.  Broombank's comment of salting one side at a time is also a good idea.  I actually usually wait 12 hours between salting -- salt one side, wait 12 hours, then salt the other side.  Remember to cut the amount of salt in half for each salting :-)  The reasoning is that if you have geotrichum, etc in the milk, you want to keep the overall salt level low so that it can get established on the rind.  This can also be a good reason for delaying the salting a bit (the yeasts can get started, though 24 hours is usually enough).

thanks for this. Not started salting yet, hopefully it will be firm enough for that in a few days. I'd heard 3%, so thanks for suggesting a lower amount. 3% seems like an awful lot of salt!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 12:08:16 PM by StuartT »

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 12:38:21 PM »
I think you are doing fine - don't  try to turn it until it looks solid enough not to disintegrate. Most of the rennet bottles use 'drops' in their instructions. I find ml a much better indicator as you can weigh very small amounts on the basis that 1g=1ml. Usually for a ten litre make you need 1.5- 2ml. It absolutely MUST be fresh. Animal rennet  in particular goes off quite rapidly. I agree with mikekchar ( who is incidentally one of the best if not THE best poster on this Forum) about the salting - both the gaps and the amount. You look, from the photo, very close to being able to turn it. It will always be a bit nerve wracking when you haven't done it before. It'helps to have big hands!
Brie ( which is not lactic) is an easier cheese for a beginner to tackle as the curd is firmer and it drains better.

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 05:11:40 PM »
Smashing! Thanks.

Update on the second cheese (the one with the unpasteurised milk). This was firm enough to be salted today (I've been turning it regularly). Here's how it looks after five days.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/00b7oBTQUh9z6ETttFCrS7tmg

Now I shall leave it at 9° C in my ripening fridge for four weeks. Then it gets the salt and annatto wash.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/057Hk7UpDFpX6rYYOSJbFAuFg

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2023, 05:11:58 PM »
Smashing! Thanks.

Update on the second cheese (the one with the unpasteurised milk). This one was firm enough to be salted today (I've been turning it regularly). Here's how it looks after five days.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/00b7oBTQUh9z6ETttFCrS7tmg

Now I shall leave it at 9° C in my ripening fridge for four weeks. Then it gets the salt and annatto wash.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/057Hk7UpDFpX6rYYOSJbFAuFg

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2023, 06:10:52 PM »
looking really good Stuart - well done !

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2023, 01:17:46 PM »
I think you are doing fine - don't  try to turn it until it looks solid enough not to disintegrate. Most of the rennet bottles use 'drops' in their instructions. I find ml a much better indicator as you can weigh very small amounts on the basis that 1g=1ml. Usually for a ten litre make you need 1.5- 2ml. It absolutely MUST be fresh. Animal rennet  in particular goes off quite rapidly. I agree with mikekchar ( who is incidentally one of the best if not THE best poster on this Forum) about the salting - both the gaps and the amount. You look, from the photo, very close to being able to turn it. It will always be a bit nerve wracking when you haven't done it before. It'helps to have big hands!
Brie ( which is not lactic) is an easier cheese for a beginner to tackle as the curd is firmer and it drains better.

ok, today I finally managed to pluck up the courage to de-mould cheese #3 (the one done at 30C where the curds separated properly). It's still very wobbly, but just about able to stand on its own two feet now (I think). I've put it in a ripening box and hopefully it will continue to dry out and firm up enough over the next week or so.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/082MEKpwlVQDwOFNV6d4vEppw

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2023, 04:31:49 PM »
good - is it resting on a draining mesh in the box ? Be very careful that it doesn't fuse with the mat as it will tear if you neglect to turn it frequently enough. I sit mine on heavy duty paper towel ( eg Plenty) which facilitates draining but must be changed daily.

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2023, 07:44:12 PM »
good - is it resting on a draining mesh in the box ? Be very careful that it doesn't fuse with the mat as it will tear if you neglect to turn it frequently enough. I sit mine on heavy duty paper towel ( eg Plenty) which facilitates draining but must be changed daily.
Thanks. I am using a heavy duty paper towel on top of a cheese mesh to make handling easier.

I seems like I de-moulded it too soon though. I just checked on it and it's swimming in 1cm of whey and has err.. sagged somewhat from its previously cylindrical shape.  :o

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0321Ohk6HKJQ28tG-MFJ3AQOQ

I have just about managed to rescue it, but I am clearly going to have to check on it very regularly!

We live and learn! I guess these non-pressed cheeses require a lot of care and attention in the early stages. Let's hope it's worth it in the end!

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2023, 10:40:58 PM »
I feel a bit wary about commenting since it's a lactic cheese as mikekchar commented and I have never made it myself. I'm just struck by how long it's taking to drain compared to a Brie/Camembert. I made some small blue cheeses today at noon and they will be ready to unmould tomorrow morning before salting. It looks to me as if your cheese is very fine such that it won't drain easily in a mould unless the moisture is wicked by a cloth. I take it you didn't have any cloth in your moulds? I wonder if mikekchar can comment on your photo and if he agrees with me that a cloth would speed up the draining?  Certainly the paper towel on top of mesh is good. I think you have started your cheese journey with a really difficult cheese but just treat it as a learning experience and see where it goes.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2023, 06:06:02 AM »
Sometimes lactic cheeses can take a whole week for me to drain.  That's kind of extreme, but 3-4 days is not that atypical.  If the culture was really sluggish, it can get such fine curds that it just holds on to water pretty much forever.  This is kind of the secret for something like a stracchino where you add salt to the *milk* to slow down the culture (and the added fat slows down draining even more).

StuartT, you may find that you'll have to eat that one early, just depending on how it's aging.  I guarantee it will be amazing, though.  You'll probably want to do it again :-)  If it looks like it's running away with you, don't delay.  Just eat it.

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2023, 11:08:04 AM »
Sometimes lactic cheeses can take a whole week for me to drain.  That's kind of extreme, but 3-4 days is not that atypical.  If the culture was really sluggish, it can get such fine curds that it just holds on to water pretty much forever.  This is kind of the secret for something like a stracchino where you add salt to the *milk* to slow down the culture (and the added fat slows down draining even more).

StuartT, you may find that you'll have to eat that one early, just depending on how it's aging.  I guarantee it will be amazing, though.  You'll probably want to do it again :-)  If it looks like it's running away with you, don't delay.  Just eat it.
this is all very reassuring and helpful. Thank you!

looking much better today. I made two improvements to the situation.

1) I created a clingfilm band around the perimeter to help it hold shape a bit better while it dries.
2) I now have cheese mats on top and below (with kitchen towel between them and the cheese). This greatly aids turning
https://share.icloud.com/photos/08c9i0j-r5jkr-6H-DCRiSmFw

(Do please stop me if I am going on too much! I don't want to overstay my welcome here.)

Offline broombank

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2023, 11:51:04 AM »
don't worry about overstaying your welcome- actually its more common to make a lengthy comment to someones problem and never see them again ... I don't know what the point in asking questions is if you never read the answer! I learn a lot from reading other peoples lengthy exchanges.

Offline Aris

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2023, 12:48:32 AM »
Stuart,
I read that temperature plays a big role on how well your cheese drains. I read 68-72 f is a good range. Lower temperatures inhibits proper whey expulsion. The right humidity range is also important, 60-70% humidity should be good enough for the cheese to dry properly. If the cheese is wet for too long, I think G. Candidum will not grow and only B. linens will grow. You need both of them growing on the rind.

Offline StuartT

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2023, 12:45:06 PM »
Stuart,
I read that temperature plays a big role on how well your cheese drains. I read 68-72 f is a good range. Lower temperatures inhibits proper whey expulsion. The right humidity range is also important, 60-70% humidity should be good enough for the cheese to dry properly. If the cheese is wet for too long, I think G. Candidum will not grow and only B. linens will grow. You need both of them growing on the rind.
Thanks. Maybe that was part of the issue then. I was draining them at 9C in the ripening fridge as I was concerned that they might go off if I just left them at kitchen temperature.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2023, 01:38:28 PM »
> I was draining them at 9C in the ripening fridge

That's the problem.  You must drain lactics at room temp.  If they are cold, they will take *forever* to drain.  They won't go off (in a reasonable time).  Especially once you salt it, the pH is quite low and the salt is high enough that only a few things will actively grow and you mostly *want* them to grow.  Especially with a Langres, you want the geotrichum growing well and it performs much better at higher temps.  Trust that it will outcompete virtually everything else.