GENERAL BOARDS > Introductions

Greetings from Scotland

(1/1)

NerdBeard:
Hi all! I thought I'd put a wee post here to introduce myself. I'm a fairly new cheesemaker and sort of fell into it on a whim. The whim stuck, and now I'm fully on board the cheese train!

I'm a Dutchman by birth and a Scotsman by... osmosis I guess, and I'm happy to have found a forum of people who are equally interested in all things cheese.

How are you all?!

B e n:
Welcome, Dutch-Scot cheese should be lovely!

broombank:
welcome Nerdberard - glad to see a fellow Scot enjoying himself. What part of Scotland are you in ? we are fortunate to have access to excellent milk and many established artisan cheese makers to give you inspiration ! Any questions you may have I am glad to answer.   ian

NerdBeard:
Hi Ian,

I stay in West Lothian currently, and honestly, it is exactly what you mentioned: finding out more about cheesemakers in Scotland is what I would very much like a general nudge about. I am at the start of it all, and it has been a while since I have felt this green and inexperienced about anything, really. ;)

Lovely to hear from you!

NB

broombank:
Hi Nerdbeard
You have plenty of good cheesemakers/shops /milk producers where you are. The oldest most respected cheesemaker is Errignton in Carnwath In Lanark. it has a farm shop and has one of the only flocks of Lacaune sheep in the UK producing some highly impressive blues like Lanark Blue, hard cheeses like Corra Linn. You also have St Andrews cheese co in Anstruther producing several excellent cows milk cheeses like Anster. Further south west the Campbell community Locharthur just outside Dumfries who make several excellent cheeses. There is a fair bit of unhomogneised milk around your area. I hesitate to blow my own trumpet but you are precisely the kind of person for whom I wrote my introductory cheese book - Mould to Mould. You can have a look at it on my website at www.broombankpublishing.com It important to some have idea what you're doing before you do it - there is no point in reinventing the wheel if you don't have to. Good luck with your new venture - I have been doing it now for 3 years - I find it endlessly fascinating and I can't stop! Fortunately the results keep getting better and better. Just find a way to dispose of it unless you want to end up the size of a house! If it's good friends will love it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version