Author Topic: A Question for Wayne concerning Cheddar cheese recipe  (Read 4130 times)

linuxboy

Re: A Question for Wayne concerning Cheddar cheese recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
But your cheese will be fine :). I just wanted to explain what happens in general. Your heating schedule was a tad fast, but from what you wrote, the final cheese will be okay. Your final texture may be a touch dry and crumbly after aging, but the taste should be OK. Your ph at draining and after press were in a good range.

Gurkan, I want to explain the pH/TA question, but am drastically short on time this week. Search some discussions in wine forums or sites about using pH vs TA. Same principles apply to cheesemaking.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy,

I did some research and found the difference. Let's see if I understood correctly:

TA measures the concentration of disassociated hydrogen molecules and undisassociated hydrogen ions where as pH measures disassociated hydrogen only.

Acidity is related with hydrogen in the solution so TA to measure the total acidity is a better indication of lactic acid levels.

pH can be used where lactic acid is not involved like brine solution...

Here is a doco that explains the TA.

Correct me if I am wrong when you have time...

linuxboy

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:52 PM »
Yes, right, difference is in ion disassociation. Recall that casein, because of k-casein has a charge, and that other proteins do as well. Those proteins act as receptor sites, sort of reservoirs for hydrogen ions. Another way to think about it is they buffer acid. Other minerals/salts  also buffer acids. So while pH measures everything that is already in solution it does it in terms of the water, that is, hydrogen (H+) and hydroxyl (OH-) ions. Whereas TA measures that, plus the solids. In a way you can say that TA is somewhat predictive/proactive because it incorporates the idea of buffers, whereas pH is just a measurement at a given point in time.

I would say either work well when used in the hands of an experienced cheesemaker. My suggestion is to pick one and stick with it.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy,

I already ordered a titration kit and waiting for it. There are traditional Turkish recipes given using TA with Soxhelet-Henkel degree and I am planning to unlock those with the help of this titration kit.