Chancellor Grapes 2009

Started by wharris, October 12, 2009, 11:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wharris

Cheese Head

Wayne, nics videos. Is that your family/grapes or are you showing same ones as you got?

wharris

John,
That is me and my wife,  picking and sorting grapes from this year, out at a winery/vineyard in erie called Presque Isle winery. I hope I answered your question as I'm not sure I was tracking with you.

Anyway, Those grapes are in full-on fermentation right now.  Here I am this morning  punching the cap down.
Punching the Cap Down

I will be getting my full load of grapes on friday or saturday. that will be California Cabernet Sauvignon.  Its been a cool/wet year and so the harvest is late.

wharris

Ok,  just picked up my main load of California Cabernet Sauvignon grapes...

Here is me and my buddy crushing them.

Crushing 1000lbs of Cab Sauv 2009

I am filming while holding the hose....

DeejayDebi

Nice videos Wayne. For some reason I expected naked feet and hairy legs somewhere in the videos!  ;)

You have a ton of carboys there. You must make wine all winter.

mtncheesemaker

Hey Wayne, looks like fun!
I'm making 6 varieties of wine this year from locally grown grapes. Are there risks to aging wine in carboys close to where I ripen cheese? Ever had any bad experiences?
Thanks,
Pam

wharris

Pam,

Is there something wrong with a dry red roquefort table wine?

:)

I have not found there to be a problem co-locating the two.  I sanitize everything prior to Grape fermentation.  That is, I mop everything  with a Starsan solution.  I apply this to just about everything:  Vats,  Carboys, floors, walls, tools.

Then during the aging of my wine, the wine is 14% alcohol with 45ppm of free SO2.  So,  its pretty hostile to yeast and random bateria. My goal is to keep my wine in a biologically stabile state.  Besides, its almost always air tight. (except during racking).   My main concern during long term aging is Oxidation.  So, I cap all my wines with a generous blanket of argon. After a year, I add sulfate (making it very unpleasent for bad things to grow) and bottle.   Assuming a good tight seal with the cork,  (and  no cork defects) You could age your wine in the mustiest of cheese caves and it should not be a problem.

mtncheesemaker

Hmmmm... Dry red roquefort? Have to give that some thought!

I'm trying to keep my SO2 levels to about 30ppm. I'm also racking less these days than I used too. Only racked my 2008 reds right before bottling. Just bottled the Syrah and Zinfandel and was pretty happy with them.

I guess I'll just try to be extra prudent with cleaning. Still haven't come up with the perfect cheese-aging set-up yet.
Pam

DeejayDebi

I'm impressed sweetie! That's one a heck of a batch of wine. Do you have wooden barrels too?

mtncheesemaker

wharris

Crush Season / Fermentation Season 2009 is over....

Whew..  Lotta work this year. 
Final tally:
67gallons of California Cab
15gallons of Pa Chancellor

GBoyd

Wow. That is a serious operation. Do you make that much every year?

wharris

mtncheesemaker

Wayne, where do you get those straps for your carboys? Do they make moving them easier?
Pam