Author Topic: Hello from Texas  (Read 1956 times)

whitesnstripes

Hello from Texas
« on: October 25, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
Hello from Kemah, Texas during the week and Marble Falls on the weekends!  New to cheese making and excited about finding the board.  Bought a cheese press off ebay and a copy of Home Cheesemaking from Amazon.  Anyone know of any cheese making supply stores in the Greater Houston Area?

Scottie

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
Re: Hello from Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:47:36 PM »
Hey there!

I'm in Seabrook... Nope, no cheese supply houses to be found, I'm afraid -- only online for us.  I'm still getting started, but can try to help out as I can..

--Michael
--
Michael Dow

FarmerJd

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I think almost everybody has to order online. Probably because we are so spread out. Lots of links for supplies on the main page. Look forward to hearing about your cheese making.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:41:05 PM »
Good morning Scottie and welcome to the forum.  Yes most of us have to order in supplies.  So what cheese are you planning on starting with?

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »
Scottie welcome to the forum, I'm in Katy area of Houston and like sominus have yet to find a supply store in Houston.

There is list of Cheese Making Supply Stores, if you search this forum you will find some reviews of them.

What cheese you want to make determines what supplies you want to order. While you can make several cheeses without it, often the first non-kitchin ingredient you'll need is rennet, I found this one in second Whole Foods Store I looked in. There are severl types and formats of rennet, some info here.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:48:03 PM »
Hi, I am located in New Caney, North of Houston and I attended a class here:
http://www.homesteadheritage-homesteading.com/index.html

They were very informative, and sent us home with a book of recipes and some resources of where to buy "cheese stuff".  Most of it is online, good luck and welcome!