Calcium Chloride - Granular, How Dilute

Started by vogironface, October 29, 2009, 06:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vogironface

All right folks I have received an answer from Joeellen at leeners.  They mix 30% by weight.  So, if I have 100 grams of finished solution then 30 grams would be Cacl2.  There seems to be some variance in the way that various manufactures mix but from personal experience I know the leeners solution works just fine so I think I will use that mix. 

Isn't this the same way we measure a brine solution.  A 100 gram solution of 12% brine would have 12 grams of salt? 

Here is the text of here email for your literary enjoyment.

"A 30% solution indicates that by weight 30% of the total is pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride and 70% is distilled water.

Be aware that when the powder is mixed with distilled water, the resulting solution can become very hot."

linuxboy

Hi Ben,

Thanks for checking. That is also the consensus we reached here. I listed calculations earlier for mixing a 30% solution, amount in grams to add per gallon, and amount in ml to add per gallon when using a 30% solution.

Sailor Con Queso

I just made a 1500ml batch with 1 pound of CaCl2. Couldn't believe hot this got instantly. Wow. I know I have enough to last a few years ::) but $4.50 for a POUND on e-bay is a great deal. Just 2 ounces is $4.95 from NECS.

It dissolved quickly, but I did have a few random flakes lingering so 30% may be close to saturation.

DeejayDebi

I just wanted to mention one thing here:

I think the reason you are all getting confused is you need to remember what a solutions is. 

A "solution" should be in the terms  grams/ml or Weight/Volume. Makes it much easier to understand when you define your terms first.

Sorry to interupt ...  ::)

Boofer

In another thread talking about a cheese called Cantal from "200 Easy Homemade Cheese recipes", I noticed something interesting in the ingredient list.

Recipes that use 4 gallons(16L) cow's milk:
3/4 tsp (3.75ml) calcium chloride dissolved in 1/4 cup (50ml) water.

Interesting datapoint. When last I checked, we put 30ml of CACL2 in a 100ml container and filled it with water to arrive at a 30% solution. Here's a recipe book that apparently a few people besides myself are using and it calls for 3.75ml dissolved in 50ml of water. I'm sure that will guarantee the 30% with a little buffer room. So what if the total volume of milk liquids is a little larger?

What that tells me is that I can keep my CACL2 dry and mix it fresh as I need it...3/4tsp (3.75ml) at a time for my 4 gallon (16L) cheese recipe. No muss, no fuss  ::) .

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DeejayDebi

Boofer calcium chloride is always dissolved/diluted in pure water first before using and yes you could mix it as you go but larger volume solutions are easier to mix than small ones.

It is not a simple matter of pouring 3.75 ml of the powder into the 1/4 cup of water. Those recipes are based on diluting a 30% solution.

Sailor Con Queso

Boofer - that recipe from 200 Easy... and just about every other recipe assumes that we are using a pre-mixed 30% solution to start with, so she is NOT talking about using granular CaCl2. You add the 30% solution to more water to increase the dispersion rate.

Boofer

Got it.  Must have drifted off there for moment.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Scarlet Runner

I gave Ben and LinuxBoy a cheese for this post since it spurred me to try this out with my own pound of CaCl2. Just wanted to give back my gratitude for such a significant contribution.  Hope it's okay to add this silly little note just to say THANKS GUYS.

catseatnit

Just to be sure - you are dessicating (oven?) the hydrated CaCl2 (2H2O) before weighing, correct? 

linuxboy

Yes, calculation is for dehydrated. Or, adjust for hydration level.

Caseus

So can you just dehydrate the CaCl2 in the kitchen oven?  Lowest temp on my oven is 175 degrees.  How do you know when it is dehydrated sufficiently?

linuxboy

That's only if you're one of those crazy mad scientist types and want to make a solution of an exact molarity. In practice, dump in CaCl2 until it is saturated and will no longer dissolve. You now have 28-33% solution.

Caseus

Great.  That makes it easy.  Thank you linuxboy for the information you shared in this thread and the other one where I asked about the Pickle Crisp.  Everywhere I turn, no matter what subject related to cheesemaking that I question, I find myself learning from you. 

shaneb

Thanks all to the information on this thread. I've just made up a big batch of 30% calcium chloride. I bought the calcium chloride from a brewing supply store.

Shane