Author Topic: Boofer's 1st Kefir Based "Gouda" Cheese  (Read 7740 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Boofer's 1st Kefir Based "Gouda" Cheese
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 08:07:16 AM »
Until the Reynolds product folded I was able to buy bigger quantities of meats, wash & clean them up, divide if necessary, and vacuum-bag individual servings. It saved a lot of money when the supermarkets had periodic meat sales and it is really convenient to just go to the freezer and pull out a neatly vacuum-packed portion.

This summer it seemed like the blueberries would not stop. The stores had a lot of them at an unbelievable price and I bought a lot of those, washed them, spread them out on a cookie sheet to freeze individually, and then vacuum-bagged them. Now during the off-season, for those cold winter mornings, I can grab some from the freezer and make scrumptious blueberry muffins.

My new FoodSaver should allow me to continue vacuum-bagging but at a much higher quality.

Oh, sorry, looks like I got a little carried away.  ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 04:30:46 AM »
You did good Boofer you did good!

cheesequeen

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »
Great looking cheese. My friend gave me some kefir grains in a jar. I added store bought milkabout a cup and left it at room temp for about 2 days till they were thick. I let some of  gases out and put  kefir jar in frigde. I am looking into making some kefir cheese. Your kefir cheese looks awesome. Woiuld please share your recipe for making that Kefir cheese or any body who has made it. Thanks and Happy Cheesemaking. 8)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:27 AM »
I believe the book I was using at that time was Ricki Carroll's so it's probably her Gouda recipe with kefir substituted for the ripening culture.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

cheesequeen

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »
Thank you very much. Happy Cheesemaking 8)