Author Topic: Using Different % Fat Milks & Other Questions  (Read 6050 times)

mhorlick

Re: Using Different % Fat Milks & Other Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 08:43:34 AM »
Hi Tea,

Thanks for your good wishes.

With regards to wine making I am no expert. From a chart I have, to get an alcoholic content of 19% your initial SG should have been 1.140. What was your initial SG value and what is it now? If it tastes good, drink it. If you want to sweeten it then, from what I have read, you need to stabilize it and then add a sugar syrup to sweeten it. If you don't stabilize then fermentation may re-occur. The yeast may already be dead by now (it can only tolerant so much alcohol) but if not dead then adding sugar without the stabilizer will increase the alcholol content. Here is a good forum to ask questions on mead making :http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showforum=19

BTW.. I made lactic cheese last night adding liquefied mashed up raspberries to 2% milk. Seems to have curded (is that a word?) up well. Will drain today and give a report later.

Also, since I used my last direct-set Mesophilic starter packet the next time I order I believe I will order starter that is re-culturable.

Regards,

Mike

I have to explain this forum more extensibly   

Tea

Re: Using Different % Fat Milks & Other Questions
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »
Hi Mike, my initial SG was 1.150 and the last one was -98.

Thanks for the website, I joined today, and have already made another mead.  A quick one, suposedly this time.  Just happened to have everything I needed to decided to give it a try.
Hopefully they will be able to help me with my questions.  Many thanks.

Keep us updated on the cheese.  I am always interested in trying something new, and yours sounds interesting.
Some pic and a recipe is always welcome too.
hint hint...