Akawi (Ackawi, Akkawi, Ackawieh) Cheese Making Recipe

Started by mistercheers, April 15, 2010, 04:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hello zaidnowar,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to disappoint, as I do not have that recipe. But on this link posted earlier by member DJDebi there is a recipe and a tab for Arabic:

http://www.khayma.com/TAGTHIA/production.htm

I hope this helped.

mistercheers

@Alex

Guess what Alex (and anyone else following this thread)....   I found it!!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_7415738_make-akkawi-cheese.html

PS. I love Chelsea Hoffman!!! Thank you Chelsea!

MrsKK

Let us know if you make this cheese and how it turns out for you.  Congrats on finding what you were looking for.

Sailor Con Queso

Interesting looking cheese, but I have a few observations.

2 rennet capsules seems like a lot for one gallon of milk.

Covered in a "dark place" for 2 weeks. Is that at room temperature? What about the whey that will continue to drain off? Pitch it or let the cheese continue to soak in it?

Again - eight weeks at ROOM TEMPERATURE?

Ostensibly, all bacteria have been killed off by boiling for 30 minutes. This also denatures the proteins. And wiping with brine will help it develop a rind and keep molds and bacteria at bay. But at the same time, without lactic bacteria, this cheese will not develop any acidity to naturally fend off unwanted organisms. So, I have to believe that this has to "age" at cooler temperatures. Especially for 8 weeks. Otherwise, I would consider this a risky cheese for contamination. I'll bet this is one of those recipes with an addendum - "Oh, I forgot to mention that".

Without bacteria, this has to be a pretty bland cheese. Maybe not. Let us know.

MunchkinsMom

Quote from: Sailor Con Queso on November 18, 2010, 04:10:32 PM
Interesting looking cheese, but I have a few observations.

2 rennet capsules seems like a lot for one gallon of milk.

Covered in a "dark place" for 2 weeks. Is that at room temperature? What about the whey that will continue to drain off? Pitch it or let the cheese continue to soak in it?

Again - eight weeks at ROOM TEMPERATURE?

Ostensibly, all bacteria have been killed off by boiling for 30 minutes. This also denatures the proteins. And wiping with brine will help it develop a rind and keep molds and bacteria at bay. But at the same time, without lactic bacteria, this cheese will not develop any acidity to naturally fend off unwanted organisms. So, I have to believe that this has to "age" at cooler temperatures. Especially for 8 weeks. Otherwise, I would consider this a risky cheese for contamination. I'll bet this is one of those recipes with an addendum - "Oh, I forgot to mention that".

Without bacteria, this has to be a pretty bland cheese. Maybe not. Let us know.

There is a second recipe (essentially the same) on eHow at http://www.ehow.com/how_8169948_make-akawi-cheese.html.  Those much better instructions, seems to me (with only one successful Ricotta under my belt! ;D), may address the concerns you raised.  What think you?

I am planning to tackle this cheese and also a fresh Mizritha to be able to make some goodies for some of my international friends.

This is a great resource, and I appreciate all the expertise and advice you folks offer.  Thanks, Vicki

Umm Aaminah

Wow, thank you all for the links and recipes! I have also been looking for akkawi cheese and did not really think about doing my own until now! I just want to know if anyone have tried the recipe yet - and if it did go well?

jazz

I will also start a new topic... but just in case these folk are still active...did you ever get a good ackawi recipe ? That uses actual cultures...not vinegar?  Or is the original ackawi made with vinegar!?
Peace, Maryann