Author Topic: To Wash or NOT to Wash?  (Read 1569 times)

Illiterate

To Wash or NOT to Wash?
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
Hi There
I now have 6 small hard pressed cheeses ageing, and every day I check them for, I'm NOT sure what. From what I've read here I use a brined cloth to wipe off any black spots (very few) but I don't know about the GREEN stuff, and I think I should leave the RED alone. I take the opportunity to brine some and rewrap others, I do have 1 Blue cheese that is very GREEN at the moment. All of these are under 1 month old.
The 1 cheese I started a month ago, (almost) was VERY GOOD, I could'nt resist, I needed to find out if I was wasting my time and, I'M NOT.
Thanks for any help, and for this GREAT site.

Sam

zenith1

Re: To Wash or NOT to Wash?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »
Hi Sam, thanks for posting and being so prolific in your efforts. As far as the rinds go keep them clean of all invasive critters unless you placed them there in the first place. So if you have not added something like B. linens, P.Candidum, P. Roqueforti etc etc to the mix you probably want to get rid of it by brushing down the rind.

Illiterate

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I just went back and made sure everything was wiped down accept for the red or orange on the cheese I inoculated with the cheddar and garlic.

Thanks again

Sam

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:19:38 AM »
your welcome Sam-continued good luck sir!