Author Topic: New "McGyvered" set up  (Read 1825 times)

sceleste54

New "McGyvered" set up
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
 I finally decided that my failures/inconsistancies with yogurt batches is due to to much variation in incubation
temperatures.  I've rigged up a stock pot with a submersible aquarium heater (that I just happened to have lying around) of course I scrubbed it up and disinfected it well!  The heater won't actually be in contact with the yogurt but its a mind thing...The pot is filled with water and the yogurt sealed in jars sits in the water bath.  I'm hoping the aquarium heater will maintain a constant temp... We shall see...

Minamyna

Re: New "McGyvered" set up
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »
Very cool. I found my inconsistencies had to do with my starter culture. When I switched to all direct set they came out great every time. I have two yogurt makers, but I still use the cooler with a heating pad. That seems to work well for me.

Good idea with the aquarium heater though!

sceleste54

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 02:07:55 AM »
Cooler with a heating pad??  I've already found the aquarium heater letting the temp drop below 85 twice...my heating pad shuts itself off automatically..

sceleste54

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
 :-[  Aquarium Heater... major fail.. I now realize thats why I had an extra heater...

Minamyna

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:19:24 AM »
Really? Mine doesn't. It's a sort of cheap one we got from a pharmacy when I broke my back. It was like $22. But I have to confess I have two salton yogurt makers, both from people who didn't want them any more for free. I have a big one, and two that are a set that each do 5 individual yogurts. The big one I use for chevre and the small ones for fruit on the bottom yogurts.

Minamyna <------ Spoiled.....