Citric Acid - Where Buy & Using Citrus Ball Type Fruit Instead?

Started by marblemason1, October 11, 2010, 10:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marblemason1

Yesterday a friend told me that Ball fruit fresh can be used as a substitute for Citric Acid, because that is essentially what it is.

Is this information accurate?  Can I use the fruit fresh as the Citric Acid component in my recipe?

susanky

I don't think so.  I believe Fresh Fruit is Ascorbic acid.  Not citric acid.
Susan

Brentsbox

Im not sure if you can substitute it or not but I do know that it is a combination of ascorbic acid and citric acid, im looking at a bottle right now.

marblemason1

Thanks, I thought that info was a bit shaky!  One more question, aside from brewing supply houses and the Internet.  Where is a place I can go to purchase citric acid?  Does Walmart carry it?  I've looked at my local grocery store and found rennet tabs but no citric acid.

susanky

marblemason1

My local home-brewer supply store, Brew at Home, has liquid rennet and Citric Acid in bulk.  I can purchase a 1#bag for $10.00USD.  Or purchase 2 oz. for a few bucks.  The problem is they aren't open on Mondays!  I really wanted to do this today :(
Oh well, time to learn some patience.

coco

I tried the Fresh Fruit once, I was in the same situation, wanted it that day. Didn't work. Sorry, hope you find some today!

marblemason1

Thanks Hojo,

I'm glad you told me you tried it and posted the results.  I might have drank a few beers and went for it anyway LOL.  Now that I know it would end up a disaster using fruit fresh I'll wait until I get the powdered citric acid.