Author Topic: Greetings from southeastern Massachusetts…  (Read 978 times)

djwtwo

Greetings from southeastern Massachusetts…
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
Came across this forum when doing some Googling for information on cheesemaking, and figured now is as good a time as any to register.

I'm Dennis, from southeastern Massachusetts. I've been making simpler, mostly acid-coagulated cheeses (goat cheese, paneer, and the occasional quick "mozzarella” and ricotta) for some time now, and am currently in the process of making my first hard cheese, using Leener's "farmhouse cheddar" recipe (I've posted some photos over on Flickr of my progress so far). I love to cook, bake and tackle food-related projects, and like a lot of folks I'm long on interests (something my Flickr stream will attest to) and short on time. One of these days I might actually get around to blogging these projects.

I'm finding cheesemaking particularly interesting as there's a history of dairy farming on both sides of my family, in both cases with the farms closing in the mid-70s (like other small farms in my area) when I was a kid. I don't know that there was any active cheesemaking going on (I remember butter being made and sold, but I think most of the milk and cream produced was meant for direct consumption).

Cheese Head

Re: Greetings from southeastern Massachusetts…
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »
Howdy Dennis, welcome! Sounds like you are off to a good start . . . have fun!

Brie

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:39 AM »
Welcome--want to get back to your "roots"? We'll help and are "rooting" for you!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Welcome Dennis.
I hear you about the farms closing mt ole homestead growing up is gone too. The whole area became a yuppieville for big city commuters.