Author Topic: Making Mother Cultures - A Photo Essay  (Read 92190 times)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Making Mother Cultures - A Photo Essay
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2022, 06:11:51 AM »
Your mother culture is just fine.  You strips are almost certainly reading incorrectly.  If it wasn't gelled at 90-90 F, then the pH was certainly over 5.0.  A few hours later, it's not going to suddenly dive down before 4.5.  And even if it does, it doesn't really matter.

But why are you making a gallon of mother culture?  That's enough to make something like 100 lbs of cheese.

Offline Fates End

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2022, 08:25:18 AM »
Your mother culture is just fine.  You strips are almost certainly reading incorrectly.  If it wasn't gelled at 90-90 F, then the pH was certainly over 5.0.  A few hours later, it's not going to suddenly dive down before 4.5.  And even if it does, it doesn't really matter.

But why are you making a gallon of mother culture?  That's enough to make something like 100 lbs of cheese.

Because I didn't want to leave an opened half gallon. :shrug:

'Sides, the nearest homebrew store is quite a ways away and anything that staves off the next time I have to get fresh culture is fine by me, even if I end up having to fill up a whole lotta ice cube trays.

Offline Vanessa s

• New Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2023, 08:35:19 AM »
Is there anyway to open your tantalising attachments 13 years after the fact? Or do they exist somewhere else out there in Google.
I don't know why I never thought of carrying on mother cultures instead of watching dried starter get lower and lower. I make yoghurt all the time

Offline Al Quentin

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2023, 07:46:44 PM »
Is there anyway to open your tantalising attachments 13 years after the fact? Or do they exist somewhere else out there in Google.
I don't know why I never thought of carrying on mother cultures instead of watching dried starter get lower and lower. I make yoghurt all the time

Try this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190512023644/http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5165.0.html