Author Topic: stupid mistake--is it dangerous?  (Read 1083 times)

JoannaCW

stupid mistake--is it dangerous?
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:26:51 PM »
So I was trying to do too many things at once, and foolishly stuck my pH meter electrode (Hanna Checker 1 glass bulb in tube, no wick)  into my cheese pot without rinsing it first.  :-\ The electrode had been in a storage solution of potassium biphthalate and potassium chloride.  I'm told that the latter isn't dangerous.  I read that the former may cause gastrointestinal discomfort or irritated mucous membranes if ingested.  I obviously need not to make a habit of getting this stuff into my cheese.  But is the amount that could have been transferred to the cheese from the probe enough to make it necessary for me to throw out this cheese, or the ricotta from the whey? Any advice greatly appreciated.

linuxboy

Re: stupid mistake--is it dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:39:44 PM »
In that concentration phthalate is no biggie. Don't recall its status as an approved food additive, so might not be legal for sale (adulterated).

KCl is no big deal.

iratherfly

Re: stupid mistake--is it dangerous?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
You essentially have contaminated your cheese and put preservatives in it at the same time :)

It will probably be just fine. These rinsing solutions can't be too strong because they would contaminate the sampled matter with traces. If this ever happens again, my suggestion is to leave the milk very still, take a clean cup and scoop out that area in a single motion