Author Topic: Newbie here... what is this talk of vacuuming???  (Read 1334 times)

Kandrews

Newbie here... what is this talk of vacuuming???
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:02:35 AM »
Total newbie here!! I've done soft cheeses, but no hard cheeses.. yet :D

I keep hearing about vacuuming cheese! Are we talking "Food Saver" vacuuming? or something different? How does this compare to waxing? If you do vacuum with a food saver, what's next?? same humidity and temp? Any tricks?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Newbie here... what is this talk of vacuuming???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:44:41 AM »
Vacuum-bagging, vacuum-sealing, bagging...it all means the same thing.

I started out waxing and progressed fairly quickly to sealing in plastic. The wax seal is traditional for certain styles such as Gouda. I found, as did others on the forum, that mold may form under the wax occasionally. That's a PITA. You may also have a pinhole or crack in the wax which would expose the cheese to the elements.

Sometime back I bought a Foodsaver on Ebay along with three 11"x50' rolls of bag material. What a pleasure to seal a cheese and have it be secure while it ages. You can also see external changes, including whey seepage and any spurious infection that may have sneaked in. One downside is that the plastic bag doesn't allow the cheese to breathe (exchange gases). That factor may be essential to the development of certain cheeses. Another negative for bagging would be that a natural rind cannot develop if it isn't exposed to the air. If that isn't important, then bagging may be the way to go.

I can age a wheel of cheese, cut it to sample, vacuum-seal the rest as quarters in their own individual bags, and age them. Later, I can open one of the quarters to test and reseal it if it isn't quite ready. It really is quite convenient, clean, and quick.

I have my cave temperature-controlled to 47-57F and all the sealed cheeses, waxed and bagged, are quite happy. Humidity is not a consideration once the cheese is sealed. If you're drying a new cheese in there that's just out of a brine bath, then, of course, you'd consider the humidity and deal with it appropriately.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
I made cheese for about 3 years before getting my Seal-A-Meal.  Pre-SAM days, there was a lot of waste when having to cut off a thick rind and mold on my cheese.  Now that I'm sealing it, there is no more waste.  I love it!

motochef

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:13:37 AM »
So I could just seal my cheese in and bag and than age it in 55-60 deg? I was thinking of packing my wine fridge with a few wheels once I make them. I have seen a few comments about making sure that the cheese is dry before you seal any tips about drying? I know that the vacuum can draw whey from the cheese. If that happens do you just remove and dry a bit longer and re-seal?