Author Topic: Looking for particular cheese molds  (Read 9744 times)

SueVT

Looking for particular cheese molds
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:14 PM »
Hi,

I have been looking for plastic tomme basket moulds, fancy, with a design which is molded into the bottom... creates a very attractive cheese.  I saw these in use at a place in VT, but can't find them anywhere.....
Also traditional wooden beaufort hoops... can't find anywhere. :(

Does anyone know of a source?  I found the hoops in either a Swiss or French supply website, but  1. I can't really read French, and 2. I couldn't figure out how to do the transaction, because they weren't offering service to the US.

Thank you,
SueVT

Cheese Head

Re: Looking for particular cheese molds
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »
Sue

I haven't seen any molds with built in design, but several members have created followers with impressions. FarmerJD did it I think with the name of his cow and Carter has made several. Carter has a small business which you could contact.

I haven't found wooden molds, some links to pictures here, member Zoey here said she contacted reitdairy in NL, also this company may be a good place, as speak English, but I suspect many of the European supply companies do if you phone them.

Good luck!

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
Which French supplier? I read French. If you post a link, I can match it up with a US source or help you arrange freight from France.

Or which design? I've seen some custom work that mold companies have done for artisan producers, especially in Spain.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:25:40 PM by linuxboy »

SueVT

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:08 AM »
For the Beaufort, I make either a 6 or an 8-gallon batch, which probably would produce about 4 to 4.5 KG of curd.  I think the 12 x 35 cm hoop would work, what do you think?  Sounds good!

And, here is a photo of one of the tommes to give you an idea of the basket mould I need.  They are French wooden molds which the cheese a lovely cross hatched basket appearance.

Oude Kaas

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 04:11:14 AM »
Check out Glengarry cheesemaking; they carry Italian plastic basket mould in various sizes. These moulds are of the same type as the baskets the cheeses in the pictures are made in. If I am correct I see some Dorset and a Pawlet, cheeses from Consider Bardwell Farm in Vermont.

SueVT

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:00:58 AM »
Oude,
Yes, those are from Consider Bardwell!   I was visiting over there this summer, and loved the look of these cheeses.  I've been to the Glengarry site but never noticed these moulds.  I'll look!

And by the way, your blog is one of my favorites!! 

Next time you're in Vermont, come visit!

--Sue

Stephan

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22:13 AM »
I think that the 12 x 35 cm will work for approx. 4 kg of curd.

I will see what I can find for the beaufort and for the Tomme.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:47:11 AM »
Oude,
Yes, those are from Consider Bardwell!   I was visiting over there this summer, and loved the look of these cheeses.  I've been to the Glengarry site but never noticed these moulds.  I'll look

--Sue

Maybe you could call and ask them where they get their molds?

Stephan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
Sue,

Please check the attached pics of:

a traditional wooden Beaufort hoop. Hoop size is 10 cm high x 35 cm diameter.
a plastic Tomme mould with bottom inlay to obtain the design in the rind.

Is this what you are looking for?

SueVT

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
Wow, yes!!  These would be wonderful!
--Sue

Stephan

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
Sue,

Based on the wooden beaufort mould in the pics: 10 cm high x 35 cm diameter for approx. 8 kg cheese,
a cheese cloth that fits this mould,
a tomme mould (bottom/top diameter = 200 x 200 mm x 156 mm high) with a bottom and top design plate,
a pressing lid for the tomme mould,
the total amount is Euro 155. This includes Euro 50 on freight costs to your Vermont location.
Parts are on stock, lead time approx. one week max.

In case you need more details / info just let me know.

Stephan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »
Except for the string and block thing - which I have no idea how or why to use - maybe pressure?  (hint hint) ... why couldn't you use a maple drum shell?

One of my many hobbies was snare drum building (yes I am also a musician) and I think a 14 inch x 4 inch 10 or 20 ply drum shell would work great for the beaufort mould. The blocks and string could be made from scrap lumber.

The tomme mould can be had locally for I think $30 from Glengarry or Dairy Connections.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:24:22 PM by DeejayDebi »

curdsandwhey

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Hi,

Take a look at cheeseconnection.net under the Cheese Molds button.  I believe they have the cheese mold you are referring to and in four different sizes.

linuxboy

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 12:00:48 AM »
OK, obviously you are from this cheeseconnection company. Kallijah?

For one, you don't sell these types of molds. For another, it's in very bad taste to go and advertise your company like this. Look at what Stephan did (helped, did not advertise), and he also has a supply company. He offers to source, help, and sell a rather hard to find product. And then you come along, with nothing but an ad? And you don't even sell the product? Seriously?