Author Topic: An Introduction from a Kentucky Artisian Cheesemaker  (Read 2322 times)

wendallsan

An Introduction from a Kentucky Artisian Cheesemaker
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm a cheese maker in Southern Kentucky.  I work at Kenny's Farmhouse Cheese and am one of 4 folks that work in the kitchen making cheese.  We use just-milked fresh milk in 300 gallon batches, and make about 240-250 pounds of cheese per batch.  Kenny owns his own milking herd which are very well cared for and pastured, and they're 1st milking each day goes straight into the cheese making tank and we take it from there.  We usually make 8 batches of cheese per week.  My wife and I work 5 shifts a week (1 shift = 1 batch of cheese), and Kenny and his family make the remaining 3 batches using the second milking in the evening.  I've worked here since April and am really enjoying learning the art and craft of artisan cheesemaking.  Kenny's a super-energetic, experimental guy, and we're always trying new cheeses.  We currently have unpeirced blue Gouda, coffee Cheddar, and St. Paulin experiments in progress, on top of our 21 'regular' types of cheese.  Our website is at http://www.kennyscheese.com if you want to see our full line of cheeses.  No, Kenny doesn't pay me to market his cheese on the internet, so enough promotion!

I've got lots of questions and ideas about how my current job works and could be improved.  We're looking to expand in the next year or two, which I think will involve doubling the kitchen, possibly to have 2 cheese vats going at the same time (and two groups of people working on them).  This last year (2010) I think we produced about 100,000 pounds of cheese.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum, I'm sure I'll learn a lot!  Kenny has a great set-up, but I'm always looking to improve.  And anything I can do in this upcoming expansion that would make my life easier would be great! 

linuxboy

Re: An Introduction from a Kentucky Artisian Cheesemaker
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »
Hi Wendall and welcome. Do you know SailorConQueso at Boone Creek? http://boonecreekcreamery.com/

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »
Hi Wendall and welcome to the forum. I just spent a few minutes looking at the Kenny website. They did a real nice job there and have a great selection cheeses. Congratulations on working in such a great field. We all look forward to your future posts.

FarmerJd

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Great to have another pro on board. I look forward to your input.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »
Same as Farmer, great intro, appreciate having another professional join, looking forward to your input, very envious of your job!

If you are looking for ideas I just bought and ate some leaf wrapped Spanish cow and goat's blue cheese last week called Valdeon, sorry no picture, wonderful cheese. If you search here on leaf you'll get a bunch of hits!

wendallsan

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
Hi all, thanks for replies.  I wouldn't consider myself a 'pro' yet, but maybe a seasoned apprentice . . .  I'm still following the recipes rather than trying out my own at this point.  Kenny has enough ideas to keep us busy for a LONG time to come.  We only do cow's milk cheese, as all the milk comes straight out of Kenny's milking herd right next door to the cheese shop.  I'd like to experiment with goat and sheep milk someday, but there really aren't any plans to get other types of animals at the cheese shop.  We have about 50 acres on our family farm, but it's a LOT of work to milk and care for a herd of animals, which I don't think I'm up to quite yet.  Anyway, thanks again, I'm definately curious about leaf wrapped cheese, and will look into that  for sure!

dttorun

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Here is photo of Valdeon cheese, looks very nice.
Tan