What can I do with my whey?

Started by feadog, January 23, 2011, 06:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feadog

Thanks to motochef's recipe (https://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,4871.msg38935.html#msg38935), my second attempt at whole-milk ricotta was a resounding success. My first attempt was using the p89 recipe from Ricki Carroll's "Home Cheesemaking" book, which yielded only a few ounces of (admittedly delicious) cheese from 2 gallons of milk. I suspect insufficient acid, even though I followed her directions to the letter.

In any case, I now have a lot of whey left and I'm wondering what I can do with it and how long it will keep in the fridge?

Thx

berrys66

I usually figure on getting around 200g of Ricotta from 1 (UK) gallon of the whey left over from cheese making, with no other added ingredients - ie. "traditional" Ricotta. You should have got in the region of 350g (around 12 oz)  from 2 US gallons.

I leave the whey to acidify over-night by which time its pH has dropped to about 4.6, and make the Ricotta the next day.

MrsKK

Whey can be used in cooking, such as bread making, etc.  Some people drink it, but I've never cared to.

It is a great fertilizer for your plants, house or garden, but should be diluted by 1:4 with water.  If you have a septic system, do NOT pour it down the drain, as it is very hard on septic!

Cheese Head

Sailor Con Queso

Because of the acidity, whey is a great natural fungicide for grapes, roses, tomatoes,........

moodock

Make some ricotta, then with the left overs make some whey bread, and feed the rest to your animals. Even after making ricotta, whey makes good animal feed.