Author Topic: Cave Temp, Accidental Increase - Consequences?  (Read 1011 times)

JeffHamm

Cave Temp, Accidental Increase - Consequences?
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:05:13 AM »
Hi,

My "cave" is a chilly bin in which I put 2x2Litre milk jugs of ice twice a day (morning and evening).  This maintains the internal temperature around 10-12 C.  I wipe up any condensation when switching the ice.  I've had a caephilly aging in there for 3 weeks, and the rind hasn't cracked.  Also, I have a Manchego in there for almost a week now, and it's looking good to.  However, this morning I appear to have left the ice beside the bin, rather than in the bin.  This I can now affirm does not work anywhere near as well for temperature (although condensation was good), and when I checked the temperature it was around 20 C.  Not sure for how long.

In the cave I have 4 cheeses, a waxed gouda, a waxed sage wensleydale, a non waxed caerphilly, and a non waxed manchego. 

I'm curious to know what, if any, influence might a temporary temperature spike do to the aging of these cheeses? 
- Jeff

zenith1

Re: Cave Temp, Accidental Increase - Consequences?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
I don't know how good my math is but I think that is around 68F. That is pretty far out of the comfort zone. The average temperature of your wheels will probably be a lot less than what your ambient reading was. I think that you will be OK as long as you got the temp back to where it belongs when you found it. A longer time would have been a bigger problem for sure.

JeffHamm

Re: Cave Temp, Accidental Increase - Consequences?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »
Thanks zenith1,

Yah, 20 is around 68F.  I got it back to the 10-12 (50-53.6) range fairly quick.  We're cutting the caerphilly today, so it should be fine.  It's the others that have a ways to go that I was most worried about.  Hopefully all will be well.  Keeping any eye on them for any signs of change.

- Jeff