Author Topic: Learning Lancashire  (Read 10890 times)

george

Re: Learning Lancashire
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more complete in that answer instead of just tossing the one-liner out there.

First, I didn't use a ripening box for it, I just air-dried for longer than usual (5 or 6 days maybe? - till it felt really dry), then vac bagged it.  Lots of moisture in the bag a few days later.  Opened it up again, air-dried again (still no container) for another day or two, vac'd it again, still a lot of moisture in the bag a few days later.  My make notes seem to be okay in terms of everything else - that's why I'm blaming it all on my own stubbornness in terms of what I did AFTER it came out of the press, even though I knew better from both your advice and Karen's.  'Twas very foolish of me, and I'm determined never to make that mistake again.   :-[

MrsKK

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »
Young cheese doesn't do very well in vacuum bags.  There's just still so much whey there that needs to be removed.

I really like using a ripening container, as it gives the cheese a lot of character that I wasn't finding in cheeses that were just air dryed, then waxed or larded.

george

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »
Success!  (I think)

The one I made last week seems much more like it should - perhaps the problem WAS in my previous makes and not the abuse I heaped on them afterward.  Much less "solid" dry feeling to the wheel, so I'm hoping that this one, I got right.  Going to make another today to keep it company - it's lonely in that big ole ripening container all by its lonesome.   ;)

(I used MM100 on this one - was that a good idea?)

Karen, you've been tasting yours at 2-week intervals, yes?  At which age did you like it best?

Thank you both so much for all the kind words and voluminous advice on this.  Eventually, it seems, it DOES sink into my brain, so thanks for your patience, too.  Cheeses to you both.

MrsKK

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
On Friday evening, I cut up the very last bit of the Lanc I made on January 28th - it was about 100 days old and it was really, really good.  I shared it with the cheesemaking class, as we made a wheel of Lanc and they all enjoyed it, too.

This is one that was good all throughout it's life, with a mild cheddar-like flavor early on, developing more character all along.  It all depends on what you are looking for in a cheese, but I wouldn't hesistate to cut into a Lancashire at any time from 4 weeks to the full 90 days and still be assured of a good cheese.  It held onto the creamy texture all throughout, too.

I have to say that this is the first aged cheese I have made that I feel was a complete success.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I told you that you were going to like this one. ;)

I find that this is one of the most versatile cheeses that I make. I am making a Mesquite Smoked Lancashire on a regular basis that is really good.

MrsKK

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
Yes, you did, Sailor.  It is just the cheese I've been looking for since I started cheesemaking.  Just a couple of weeks until I wean the calves and get the cow used to the milker, then I'll have lots of milk for making more.

I'm going to alternate between Lancashire, Gouda, and Mozzarella to get stocked up before I have to dry the cow off.  That will give me a plentiful stock of whey for feeding to the pigs, too.

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
The recipe Karen shared uses  Buttermilk. If using Meso can you tell me which meso is best?