Annatto - Adding To Drained Cut Curds Before Pressing . . . Leopard Gouda!

Started by Gustav, May 12, 2011, 02:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustav

Check out my leopard Gouda Cheese!

One guess how this happened.....

Boofer

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

birdsongmilkmaid

I love how your leopard gouda cheese looks! I'm think I'm going to make a batch of that myself one of these days.

Naomi

judyp

That's beautiful and it looks huge!  What size mold did you use on it?  How many gallons milk did it take to make that?

Gustav

Yup. Added the annato just before the curts went into the press.

I'f farmiliar with that story book John, good idea. lol

I used 15 litres of milk for this one. It's brining now.
I have a home made press thar can do a 6kg cheese, but then I need to use about 40-50 litres of milk. Made one yesterday.
Will post the pics.

MrsKK

Very interesting effect!  I've pretty much given up on using annato, preferring the natural color of my raw milk cheeses, but I may have to give this one a whirl.

Boofer

Quote from: Gustav on May 13, 2011, 04:44:17 AM
Yup. Added the annato just before the curts went into the press.
Was that intentional or a last minute "Oops!"?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Gustav

Actually a oops, but a good one. I'd propably do it again as it looks pretty & different , but still tastes great!

Boofer

Let's ferment something!

kookookachoo

It will definitely be already a conversation piece before you even cut into it.  I have annatto but I've yet to use it.  My kids want me to make a yellow colby.  In fact, they insist on it.  I can't quite convince them color doesn't matter-they were balking at the cheddar we tasted on our vacation that was white.   ::)

Gustav

Yup. It's a case of "mind over matter" I guess.
Everybody knows cheese to be yellow, so they want wat their farmiliar with, although the colour has no effect on the taste.

Here they sell white cheddar in the shops & charge more for it than yellow cheddar lol.

My next cheese I'm going to make Saturday I'm going to make the top half of the cheese white & the bottom half yellow.
Should look interresting when it's cut.

I'm lucky to be able to make a 6kg cheese every 2nd day.

Here is the cheese I made today & 2 days ago. ;D

Gustav

This is what the cheese looks like after 1 month. I used Choozit RM32 that explains the gac hole formation. It tastes real good & melts great!!!